Wednesday, November 13, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1316: Mountain Man


Welcome back to the CD Odyssey! Today we dive back into folk music. There was a time when folk music was all I listened to. I still love folk, but there’s just too much good music out there to limit yourself by genre. Whenever someone says to me “I only listen to [insert genre] I wonder what’s wrong with them. Are their ears broken?

Disc 1316 is… Magic Ship
Artist: Mountain Man

Year of Release: 2018

What’s up with the Cover? Three women and two llamas. Or maybe those are alpacas. I’m really not sure what they are, but I am sure that they don’t belong in the house.

How I Came to Know It: The usual boring way. I read a review of this album (I believe in a folk magazine) and decided to check them out. After that, it became hard to find but eventually it showed up in the “Miscellaneous M” section of a big record store in Portland. Yes, I was looking for it. I keep a list.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have this one Mountain Man album, so there is nothing to stack it up against.

Ratings: 3 stars

Is it possible to have an album that is too folky? I would’ve said that would be impossible, but Mountain Man’s “Magic Ship” put that statement to the test.

Mountain Man is not a man at all, but rather three gifted women vocalists: Molly Erin Sarle, Alexandra Sauser-Monnig and Amelia Randall Meath. Together they play some of the most old school, stripped-down folk music you’ll ever hear. And by ‘stripped-down’ I mean sometimes it has a guitar. Often it has nothing but three voices.

If you’re going to make an album like that you better have some vocal chops to back it up, and Mountain Man does not disappoint. They sing with some of the most sublime harmonies you’ll ever hear. The songs are relaxed and whimsical, and the sweetness of the three voices combined will make you feel like you’re floating.

Despite many of the songs being a capella they don’t lose anything for it, with the three singers coming in and out of harmonies to create complex layers of sound. When there is a guitar, it is a light strum or an ambling pluck so casual you might miss it if it weren’t for the fact that there’s literally nothing else in the back of the mix.

Long-time riders will know that I am a sucker for a beautiful vocal, and sparse production so “Magic Ship” was ready-made to impress me and at times they did just that. “AGT” is a song built for high stepping in Scottish heather that filled me with joy. “Baby Where You Are” has a romantic meander to it that made me think of Simon and Garfunkel in song construction, and the Staves for the brilliant harmonies. The guitar helps on this song as well. It doesn’t do a lot, but the bass notes add an emotional underpinning to the song.

In other places, the band loses me in their virtuosity. Mountain Man are so good at what they do that sometimes it can feel like a choral singing challenge rather than a story that needs to be told. This is my issue, not the band’s, since it is often their clear intent to capture a passing image with their music rather than tell any epic stories.

Stella” is about a little girl reluctantly coming in the house to wash her face and have dinner. It is a brilliant example of harmony and syncopation, but I found it all a bit too domestic, even for a folk song.

On “Underwear”, a character pines for her mom’s t-shirt, her dad’s pants and “a chill pair of underwear”. The song is supposed to represent a deep familial love through some comfort clothes, and it does that well enough. However, it felt more like a writing exercise than the natural journey you might find on a similar but better executed song (think “This Shirt” by Mary Chapin Carpenter). In any event, ‘chill’ in either of its possible meanings are not what I look for in underwear.

Then, right when I was about to let the album go to a new home, it ended with a 55 second song called “Guilt” with just the right words to bring me back on board:

“You can think about it, you can think about it all the time
And all the ways you would have changed what you said or did or tried
You can think about it and be mean to your insides
And forget that you were ten or twelve or even twenty-five
Or it can just be something that happened that way
That makes you who you are today, and it hurts but that's alright”

This was both a gut punch and a gentle hug all at the same time and summed up this tight collection of songs well. Stripped to its essence, the record charts a course that is sometimes heartfelt, sometimes awkward, but in the end manages to find its way to something approaching grace.

Best tracks: AGT, Baby Where You Are, Stella, Slow Wake Up Sunday Morning, Guilt

No comments: