Friday, March 22, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1242: Belle and Sebastian


It is my first day of four days off and I decided to get an early start by writing a music review! This next one took a while because it was long and also new to me, meaning I needed a bit more time to grok it in its fullness.

Disc 1242 is… Push Barman to Open Old Wounds
Artist: Belle and Sebastian

Year of Release: 2005 but featuring music from 1997-2001

What’s up with the Cover? Is that the titular barman on the left? He does not appear to be pushing, more like studiously ignoring. The lovely couple in the lower right is not on the same page. She seems drawn to the barkeep’s aggressive disinterest, whereas he is more interested in the camera.

How I Came to Know It: My friend Chris’ son Kevin is now a grown-assed man in his own right. A while back Kevin and I were talking music and, hearing that I liked Belle and Sebastian, he recommended I check out this record. So…I did. There is hope for today’s youth after all. Thanks, Kevin.

How It Stacks Up:  When I reviewed “The Life Pursuit” back in 2014 I thought I was done with Belle and Sebastian at five albums. Since then I’ve purchased three more so now have eight. I debated about whether “Push Barman…” qualified, because it is technically a compilation of seven different EPs of 3-4 songs each released from 1997-2001, not a record in its own right. While this might qualify as a “best of” the fact that they didn’t leave anything out gives the record no curating advantage. For this reason I shall stack it up! Out of eight Belle and Sebastian albums I rank it…3rd.

Ratings:  4 stars

Double albums are a dangerous undertaking. It isn’t often that a band can maintain consistent quality over that length of time, and that many songs. “Push Barman to Open Old Wounds” manages the feat, struggling at times under the weight of 25 songs but ultimately staying upright. How do they do it? Volume! Also, excellence.

I had seen the individual EPs that collectively comprise this record as they were released but could never bring myself to spending $10 for 4 songs. “Push Barman…” makes me both regretful and happy about that decision. I regret not having this music in my collection sooner, but I’m happy to have them all now in such a convenient package. This is particularly true in a time where my addiction to music has led to a dearth of shelf space.

Sometimes a band’s very early work can be disappointing, with half-formed ideas or poor production (the latter often the result of limited financing). Belle and Sebastian suffer from neither deficiency. The production is a bit simpler than what would come later but the mixing is excellent on all these EPs, with a crisp clear separation of sound that is full and round but gentle enough to serve the whimsical pop songs the band creates.

As for the songs, Belle and Sebastian have an art for writing a pop melody that rivals McCartney. The songs don’t have the same ear-worm quality, but they have the same effortless breezy lilt. They feel like it has always existed, rather than having been slowly coaxed out of careful, considered songwriting.

Stuart Murdoch’s vocals are airy and light, almost adolescent, if adolescents could speak with the world-weary wisdom of middle-age. His band has an orchestral quality, precise and energetic without ever lurching or reaching for a note. These songs can get pretty twee, with their artful observations on ordinary life and all the “feels” it can give you, but they do it so well you never feel manipulated.

Add to this the band’s talent for knowing just what instruments are needed to fill in the colour and you have a record that has stood the test of time. Sometimes piano rules, sometimes guitar and sometimes a horn section. On “Lazy Line Painter Jane” a reverberating guitar and the Kim Carnes-like vocals of gust singer Monica Queen give the song an early eighties anthem quality. It is just what it needs. On “Photo Jenny” a slow strum on what I think is a Rickenbacker gives the song most of its full and bright sound, and the horn section fills in the rest.

There are a couple experiments. The spoken word in “A Century of Elvis” feels like you are trapped in some Scottish airport bar having to hear a drunk at the table next to you tell about that time he met Elvis and “La Pastie de la Bourgoisie” is overwrought and the efforts to throw a French phrase in feels affected.

However, these moments are the exception, and the album overall has a surprising capacity to maintain its energy and continuity despite its disparate origins. It isn’t often I heap praise on a double-album, but this is one of those times.

Best tracks: Dog on Wheels, The State I Am In, Lazy Line Painter Jane, Photo Jenny, Beautiful, I Know Where the Summer Goes, The Gate, Slow Graffiti, Take Your Carriage Clock and Shove It, I’m Waking Up To Us

No comments: