Saturday, March 9, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1238: Chief


I had a good day at the record store yesterday, scoring six new (to me) albums. New records joining the collection are: James McMurtry’s “Complicated Game” (2014), Echo & the Bunnymen’s “Ocean Rain” (1984), Marissa Nadler’s “The Sister” (2012), Anna St. Louis’ “If Only There Was a River” (2018), and two Hurray for the Riff Raff records – “Small Town Heroes (2014) and “The Navigator” (2017).

I am particularly excited about Anna St. Louis who made my top ten albums of 2018 list even though I didn’t own it yet (I had listened on line).

I’ll talk about all those albums when I randomly roll them. Until then you’ll just have to wait or risk exploring them on your own. Do it! Go discover some new music!

Disc 1238 is… Modern Rituals
Artist: Chief

Year of Release: 2010

What’s up with the Cover? Art, by way of math. I like this cover’s simplicity. It is also one of those cardboard sleeves that go over top of the jewel case, which I don't like. Underneath is the same graphic, but with a partly cloudy sky as the background.

How I Came To Know It: This album was recommended to me by a server in the Churchill Pub after we struck up a conversation over another artist - Frank Turner. She gave me about a half-dozen of bands to check out and I did the same for her. Two of her recommendations stuck; The Acorn and Chief. I found the Acorn album pretty quickly but “Modern Rituals” was devilishly hard to locate and took me a couple of years. When I saw a copy appear on Amazon with a “only 1 remaining” byline, I snapped it up.

How It Stacks Up:  Chief only released one full length album in their short career and this is it. That means barring a reunion, there won’t be any stacking up now or ever.

Ratings:  3 stars

“Modern Rituals” was a bit like an ocean swim. When I first started listening it felt cold, unemotional and not worth all the effort. However, once I acclimated, I found plenty of hidden treasure beneath the surface. The music still needs to be more emotionally engaged (a common problem in modern music) but there is enough solid songwriting and talent here to pull it through.

Chief was a California indie folk-rock band with a lot of qualities that bug me in that style of music. First of all, there is a lot of dense arrangements. Guitars echo, drums thump and ambient oohs and aahs fill in all the gaps. They keep good time though, which is critical if you’re going to layer so many sounds on top of each other.

I also don’t like the way the songs tend to come up with a clever riff and then just repeat it over and over in a “once more, with feeling!” kind of way. Note to indie musicians: take the time to write more verses! You can do it!

Mostly I found the vocals inconsistent. When he’s on, lead singer Evan Koga has a nice head voice that reminded me of old seventies folk-rockers like Crosby, Stills and Nash. It isn’t powerful but it feels sufficiently expansive to blend effectively with all the lush arrangements I complained about earlier.

When he sings lower, Koga’s style has an almost spoken-word feel, with a slight vibrato that was strongly reminiscent of other modern folk-rockers like Nigel Chapman (Nap Eyes) or Brooks Nielsen (The Growlers). I like those bands, but I found Koga sometimes sounds flat and emotionally disconnected by comparison.

Lead guitar Danny Fujikawa is the band’s star. Songs like “Breaking Walls” are best at the beginning when the production is still sparse, and Fujikawa’s precise yet organic runs can be fully appreciated. “Breaking Walls” exemplifies a lot of my conflict about Chief. Early on Koga’s singing is a bit off, but Fujikawa’s guitar is sublime. Later, Koga gets into his head voice and soars, but the production has now watered down Fujikawa’s impact.

While lyrically the album didn’t grab me, the songs do have a restful quality to them that lets your mind relax and wander. There is a hippy-dippy vibe to the music that feels like it is from an earlier time. It’s the kind of music you could find shirtless dudes dancing to out in the desert. At its best it made me want to take off my shirt and dance as well. It being winter, I did not do so.

My favourite song on the record is “Summer’s Day” which manages to blend Koga’s chest and head voice admirably, has that laid-back dreamy quality that is a big part of the band’s sound but leaves enough room in the production for the song to breathe. It even features a cool Fujikawa guitar solo.

“Modern Rituals” atmospheric qualities make it much better for headphones than for sitting around the house or driving. It isn’t perfect by any means, but it is something I can see myself pulling down to listen to on occasion, and so – for the first time in three reviews – I’m keeping this one.

Best tracks: This Land, Breaking Walls, In the Valley, Summer’s Day, Irish Song

No comments: