Friday, February 22, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1232: Mr. Lif


Welcome back to the CD Odyssey. Now let’s get this ship under sail!

Disc 1232 is… I Phantom
Artist: Mr. Lif

Year of Release: 2002

What’s up with the Cover? At first glance this just a logo of a person in front of a nuclear holocaust, but when you look closer, the picture is surrounded by a bunch of smaller graphics including the Capitol building, booze and drugs, luggage, weapons, sex, fast food, consumerism, and various forms of media. Like the record, it is a lot to unpack.

How I Came To Know It: My friend Ross introduced me to Mr. Lif. I liked it and before I knew it he’d bought me this album as a thank you for taking care of his cat. Thanks, Ross!

How It Stacks Up:  I have two of Mr. Lif’s four albums. Of those two, “I Phantom” is the lesser.

Ratings:  3 stars

“I Phantom” answers the question “what if you crossed ‘Office Space’ with ‘On the Beach’ and then made it into a rap album? Put another way, if you are looking for a rapper that talks about drugs, violence and how cool his new Nikes are, then this is not the album for you.

“I Phantom” is a concept album that tells the story about a man who tries to pursue the American dream but finds he is just falling further and further behind, making low wages at a job he hates and growing apart from his wife and son. He quits and finds happiness as a rapper. Then there are a whole bunch of plot twists which are kind of hard to follow, and then the whole thing ends in a nuclear holocaust. So yeah, there is a lot to unpack.

The plot twists are explained in a narrative in the liner notes, but I am of the opinion that art should speak for itself and not require explanation. The songs lose me somewhere between “career rapper” and “mushroom cloud” and figuring it out through the liner notes is like some guy at an Open Mic explaining his song before he plays it; annoying.

Rap albums have a tradition of skits, and “I Phantom” has a few. I’ve never liked this particular tradition, and the opening track “Bad Card” where our narrator seeks to borrow a gun from a friend just goes on interminably and had me frustrated and hoping that at some point I’d hear music. A later skit, “Daddy Dearest” features some solid writing and voice acting about an awkward conversation between a father and his estranged son. It was really well done but again, I would prefer music. Save that stuff for the podcasts I don’t listen to!

Fortunately, when the songs are featured they are solid. The beats and samples have a head-bob inducing groove and are clever and original. There is a seventies funk quality to “I Phantom” which is artfully mixed with jazzy beats and well-placed scratching. “New Man Theme” and “Status” are particularly funky and the album is a winner for having these two tracks alone.

While inventive, the beats and samples on “I Phantom” don’t get so complicated to stand in the way of Mr. Lif’s frenetic flow. Lif leans into the front of the beat, and when he is hitting he compares favourably to K-OS or Eminem. There are times where he is pushing a bit too many rhymes into a beat without the expected payoff but those times are rare.

For the most part, Mr. Lif’s flow combines urgency, narration and dense, clever rhymes that create energy and drama. On first listen, these songs come at you hard and from many angles. It threatens to overwhelm you but on repeat listens you learn to find that sweet spot between the funky grooves and the intensity of Mr. Lif’s flow. Maybe the storyline will also be clearer to me as I continue to get to know the record, but if not the songs are good enough to stand on their own.

Best tracks: Return of the B-Boy, Live from the Plantation, New Man Theme, Status, The Now, Earthcrusher

No comments: