Tuesday, February 5, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1225: Okkervil River


After feeling a bit off on Sunday I awoke Monday to a raging cold and it has been hitting with a vengeance ever since. Argh. I’m trying to blink my way through my watery right eye long enough to get this review in the books.

Fun fact – this is my second straight review of an album released in 2013 and the last time I reviewed this next artist was also 2013. And yes, it was all totally random – thanks for asking.

Disc 1225 is… The Silver Gymnasium
Artist: Okkervil River

Year of Release: 2013

What’s up with the Cover? Getting work as a giant-bird man must not be easy, but this fellow has found a career in moving houses. He’s brought along his ghetto blaster for music, which is pretty common in that profession and his dead frog, which is less so.

How I Came To Know It: I am a pretty devoted Okkervil River fan, and tend to just buy their new albums as they come out. That’s what happened here.

How It Stacks Up:  I have nine Okkervil River albums which to this point is all of them. “The Silver Gymnasium” is solid, but only can manage 6th best.

Ratings:  3 stars

“The Silver Gymnasium” is a lush combination of narrative tales and confessionals; the latest brain-child of lead singer and songwriter Will Sheff who has blended alternative rock, Goth and Americana into something all its own.

Early albums in the band’s discography are a lot more stripped down and folky, but “The Silver Gymnasium” follows the more ambient rock stylings of the band’s 2011 release “I Am Very Far” but with a brighter more up-tempo sound.

Much like my last review (Typhoon’s “White Lighter”) there is a lot going on here. The band has been through many iterations – this one has nine members, plus another seven sessionals adding such instruments as the glass harmonica, handclaps and (because the trumpet, trombone and flugelhorn weren’t enough) a saxophone. Overall, Sheff does a solid job of juggling all these musical options and I never felt like it was too lush, although it definitely approached that line in places.

In terms of standouts, you generally don’t think “radio single” when you listen to Okkervil River. Sheff adamantly refuses to conform to ear-pleasing melodies, favouring music to match the mix of melancholy and reverie that Sheff infuses into his lyrics. The closest he comes is “On a Balcony” which benefits from a soaring chorus and some well-placed horn flourishes. Sure, the protagonist is high on pills, fine wine and “something-and-soda” but it is a song that captures the crazy triumph of excess, even while recognizing the falsity of it all.

Over the years I’ve learned to trust Sheila’s ear for music and when she goes out of her way to praise a song I go out of my way to listen carefully. On “The Silver Gymnasium” that song is “Down Down the Deep River” and once again I was not disappointed. Like “On a Balcony” it has a triumphant sound riding on some well-placed horn. It has a mid-eighties groove and a youthful nostalgia that made me feel like I was back in high school. Then – just when I thought it couldn’t get better – the aforementioned handclaps make an appearance. Handclaps make every song better.

I didn’t particularly like the meandering and unfocused “Lido Pier Suicide Car” or how that phrase trips awkwardly off of Sheff’s tongue. “Walking with Frankie” tries to work a rockabilly beat into the album and it is a poor fit for the record, but these are exceptions. For the most part the record is smart and while it isn’t restrained, it has the good sense to stretch in the right places.

Lyrically, these songs are like a lush piece of narrative short-fiction and it takes a lot of listening and attention to follow along, but it is usually worth the effort.

The record ends with “Black Nemo,” a song that starts with a gently played guitar and piano piece that feels like a cool breeze after a late summer squall. The whole album is an exploration of coming-of-age experiences, and “Black Nemo” feels like a summary of the journey, rich and accepting and maybe a little regretful as each year has those memories farther and farther away. Or as Sheff sings it:

“In the fizzed-out snow of a cathode screen
I saw a broken ghost in an old soap scene.
I let his dead and dreamy eyes follow my eyes.

“And I had a vision of everything hidden but always around me.
It fought me. It found me while going away, floating away on the tide.
Shooting through time with my eyes getting glassy and lined,
While I watch seasons rocketing past me.
They’re going away – a little more every day, all the time.”

The song pulls in both imagery and musical elements from the ten that came before it, making you feel like you’re at the end of a dreamy vacation to a youthful time when things were slower, and everything seemed to mean a little more. And in a way, you are. Way to end on a blue note, Mr. Sheff.

Best tracks: On a Balcony, Down Down the Deep River, Where the Spirit Left Us, Black Nemo

No comments: