Tuesday, October 30, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1195: Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile


Over the last couple of days I explored a “best of 2008” album list with limited success. I picked ten albums on the list that intrigued me and gave them a chance to wow me. I was less than wowed. I only made it through three of them and only one – James McMurtry’s “Just Us Kids” will one day end up in my collection. The experience got me thinking what my favourite 2008 albums are. Here are ten that you should check out in no particular order:
  • Bonnie Prince Billy “Lie Down in the Light”
  • Drive-By Truckers “Brighter than Creation is Dark”
  • Frank Turner, “Love, Ire & Song”
  • Hayes Carll, “Trouble in Mind”
  • Imelda May, “Love Tattoo”
  • Laura Marling, “Alas, I Cannot Swim”
  • Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, “Dig, Lazarus Dig!!!”
  • Okkervil River, “The Stand Ins”
  • Pack AD, “Funeral Mixtape”
  • Sera Cahoone, “Only as the Day is Long”
OK, technically that was in alphabetical order. But check them out, and while you’re at it check out that James McMurtry record – it is also good. On with the next review!

Disc 1195 is… Lotta Sea Lice
Artist: Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile

Year of Release: 2017

What’s up with the Cover? The artists in question with their preferred weapons. See how all the black and white is opposite, even down to the guitar design? It’s art! Vile is even holding his guitar backward to further the mirror effect. That’s right, dear reader: to southpaws like me and Courtney, it is the rest of you who are playing backwards.

How I Came To Know It: I like Kurt Vile and I like Courtney Barnett so when they put this album out it seemed a natural winner. I bought it having heard one song.

How It Stacks Up:  This is the only album they’ve put out together so it can’t really stack up.

Ratings: 3 stars

With its dreamlike layered sound and slowly developing songs “Lotta Sea Lice” is best enjoyed either stoned (like the National Post’s Marie-Danielle Smith explores here) or on headphones on a rainy day. I opted for the latter.

When I first saw that Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile have done an album together my immediate reaction was “of course they did!” The style of both artists - from their monotone vocal delivery to the big echoing sound of their guitars - is remarkably similar.

Listening to them play together is like hearing two awkward but thoughtful people find a friend. No more sitting in the corner of the cafeteria alone! The songs are full of raw explorations of uncertainty but it is done as if you are floating in warm water. A little duet here and there, and some complementary guitar work and suddenly you’re not so alone after all.

For the listener, the record creates a rainy day whimsy that absorbs you. The lyrics here are not terribly creative, but they have a stark honesty that perfectly matches their plain language. When on “Continental Breakfast” they throw in a funky metaphor like:

“Like better luck performin’
Telekinesis on a priestess”

Or the slightly quaint, slightly uncomfortable image of

“I was friendly with this girl,
Who insisted on touching my face”

That serves as the opener for “Untogether” the words stand out all the more; a sudden epiphany of language that then subsides into the gentle roll and pick of the guitar work.

For me the star of the record is the guitar work, particularly on the Kurt Vile numbers. His guitar is a sort of anti-siren that instead of leading you onto the rocks, just leads you out to sea where you find yourself a little lost, but chill with the experience.

While all this made for a pleasant listening experience, there were also times where the songs meandered a bit. To be fair, this sort of indie stoner rock is designed to meander, but there were times when I wanted a bit more out of the melody. At some point I wanted to stop just floating in the current and catch a wave into shore, and that isn’t what “Lotta Sea Lice” is about.

I think this music would be great to just chill out to while you are doing something else, but most of the time I think of music as an active listening experience and so for me “good when doing something else” is less of a selling feature than for some people. For all that, “Lotta Sea Lice” is a good record with some great guitar moments on it and worth a listen.

Best tracks: Over Everything, Continental Breakfast, Peepin’ Tom

No comments: