Friday, September 21, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1181: Caroline Rose


I had a busy work week and now I have a busy weekend. I like my work, but who are we kidding? A busy weekend is better.

Disc 1181 is… Loner
Artist: Caroline Rose

Year of Release: 2018

What’s up with the Cover? Just another fine upstanding citizen out for a jog.

How I Came To Know It: I really liked Caroline Rose’s 2014 album “I Will Not Be Afraid” so when she released a new album earlier this year I took a chance on it.

How It Stacks Up:  I have only the Caroline Rose albums (she has a third record that I also really want – 2012’s “American Religious” but I can’t find it on CD). Anyway I like both of the ones I have but I’m putting “Loner” in at second.

Ratings: 4 stars

Caroline Rose is not afraid to change things up from album to album and on “Loner” she does just that, morphing from an indie country artist into alternative pop with her usual mix of strength, charm and humour.

If you come in with preconceived notions on how Rose “should” sound this will be jarring, but if you keep an open mind you’ll find yourself liking this new stuff just as much as the old; at least I did.

Thematically, Rose is keenly aware that she’s made a shift in her sound, and I expect her decision to lead the album off with a song titled “More of the Same” is no accident. It is also one of the album’s best songs, and a nice introduction to the Rose’s new musical direction. Gone are jangly guitars, and the album opens with ambient synth sound and a pulsating piano riff. On the second verse Rose sings:

“I go to a friend of a friend’s party
Everyone’s well-dressed with a perfect body
And they all have alternative haircuts and straight white teeth
All I see is just more of the same thing.”

Not content with societal notions of perfection, Rose is looking for something different. The notion that we all aspire to the exact same notions of beauty and success is boring and draining, both in terms of its ubiquity and its unattainability. It is a theme that tracks through the whole record.

In this way, Caroline Rose reminds me favourably of Dessa. Both are great talents that would likely be more commercially successful if they didn’t make a habit of making sharp, insightful social commentary in the middle of their catchy pop songs. It is a habit I hope they never break.

Rose’s vocals are sneaky good. She isn’t a powerhouse diva, but doing that to these songs would be to overcook them. Instead she has a natural talent for sitting in the pocket (sometimes on songs that are pretty rapid fire fast, sometimes on slow mournful numbers). There is a pop-star curl to her delivery but there is enough fury and emotion behind it that it doesn’t feel fake or affected.

It helps that some of these songs get into serious topics. “Jeannie Becomes a Mom” is a song about a woman down on her luck, going through pregnancy on her own. Rose’s message here: it might feel like your life is on hold, but the world don’t stop and this is real life, so don’t wait around to start living it.

The playful side of her earlier records remains alive and well despite the shift to a more electronic sound. “Money” and “Soul No. 5” are both catchy, clever half-rap anthems where Rose shows off her talent for phrasing and her brilliance at both lyric writing and song structure (Rose writes and arranges all the songs).

Money” acknowledges that no one ever says they do something for money, but obviously we all do it at some level. That’s OK, but let’s start being honest with each other. “Soul No. 5” is more of a Lilly Allen-style party song, but with all that early heavy messaging, Rose has earned a night out in her kicks, flipping her hair and strutting her stuff. We strut along with her, knowing it is OK as long as we don’t take ourselves too seriously.

Bikini” brings it all together. It features a funky synthesizer riff, catchy drums, and Rose singing about little red bikinis and high fashion. Of course, this being Rose it isn’t a song full of fun and nights drinking Cristal. It is an indictment of the demands for a woman to be sexualized in order to achieve success. (The album’s cover is an early indication of Rose’s response: fuck that).

Synth-laden pop music is not my usual jam, but “Loner” is so good at being equal parts catchy, clever and relevant I didn’t mind. In fact, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Best tracks: More of the Same, Cry!, Jeannie Becomes a Mom, Soul No. 5, Bikini

No comments: