Saturday, September 1, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1176: Eleanor Friedberger


I’ve had a lovely start to my day: brunch out with Sheila, followed by a small record shop (where I bought a Suzanne Santo album – more about that when I roll it) and then a nap. There is still some US Open tennis to watch and some football research to do for my upcoming pool. But before all that, let’s write a music review, shall we? Technically I’ll do the writing, and you’ll do the reading, but you get the idea.

Disc 1176 is… Rebound
Artist: Eleanor Friedberger

Year of Release: 2018

What’s up with the Cover? Eleanor Friedberger embraces her Greek heritage. I think she recorded or wrote parts of this album in Greece, and she is keen to let you know. However, it took me a while to notice because it was hard to notice anything other than Friedberger. She’s one of those people who can make the room disappear even when all she’s doing is posing awkwardly with a fake urn.

How I Came To Know It: I discovered Eleanor Friedberger through her previous album “New View” which was one of my favourite albums of 2016. I liked that record so much I bought this one with limited exposure, just hoping it would be good.

How It Stacks Up:  I have three Eleanor Friedberger albums and I like all of them, but one has to go last and “Rebound” is that one. Hey – third is a bronze medal at the Olympics!

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

Halfway through my first listen, “Rebound” felt like it was going to be a tough slog, but it was just my ears adjusting to Friedberger’s new sound.

The record still finds Friedberger writing beautiful indie pop music that is both quirky and introspective, which is a big reason why I like her so much. Here she’s added in a lot of eighties synthesizer sounds, artificial beats and other rich production that gives the songs a softer more ambient production.

At first I found the updated sound a bit distracting. I like my production more sparse as a rule, and the low hum combined with the lack of a satisfying ‘thud’ from the drums put me off. It felt a bit like I was trying to listen to some pretty pop music while a party next door was thumping out dance beats.

First impressions can be wrong, however, and that was the case here. As I immersed myself in the mix and let my soul open up to it I realized that those synth sounds form a great backdrop upon which Friedberger’s vocals can float. Before long I felt like I was in some art film about twenty-somethings finding love on their summer vacation. I wanted to do little dances down the street, waving my arms about as I skipped and spun about, immersed in happiness. In the end I resisted, but it was a close call. I did indulge in a few sways and head bobs and I definitely smiled a lot at strangers for no reason.

The songs have themes of love and connectivity, and I got the impression that Friedberger was a self-examined person. This is not in an anxious self-conscious kind of way, but rather a person willing to explore herself a bit, and come out better on the other side. These people are the best people.

There is plenty of doubt on the record, but the upbeat music makes you feel like everything is going to work out in the end. On “In Between Stars” Friedberger sings:

“In between moons
I was the spring, I was the spring
In between stars
I was the iron, I was the iron
Washed and scrubbed from morning till night
The sky is heavy on my shoulders but alright”

The song has a swinging beat and a persistent organ riff that plays the role of a triumphant horn section. The sky is heavy sometimes but Friedberger assures is it will be alright.

Make Me a Song” bemoans how we sometimes close ourselves off or fail to make an effort to connect, but the refrain of “I could love you more” is more aspirational than disappointed. The lyrics play both ways, but that jaunty beat and those hand claps steer you toward the light.

In the end, I prefer Friedberger’s earlier work, and a big part of that is a lighter touch on the production decisions. However, “Rebound” choses its approach very deliberately, entertaining wistful and uncertain topics in a way that is celebratory both of music and of the human spirit. This is a record that makes you think deep and feel good at the same time. It also makes you want to dance, and that’s always a good thing.

Best tracks: Everything, In Between Stars, Make Me a Song, Are We Good?

No comments: