Monday, March 6, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 978: Shovels and Rope

Today I finally made it back to the gym. After months of relative inactivity, my body feels like it is falling apart, and at age 47 it probably is. Sure I get in a brisk 45 minute walk home five days a week, but that’s just basic maintenance at this point.

Atrophy is a harsh mistress, and if you don’t want her pushing you around, you’ve got to do something about it. I’m not saying a single day at the gym is going to give me the title, but at least I won a round before the fight was over.

Disc 978 is…Swimmin’ Time
Artist: Shovels & Rope

Year of Release: 2014

What’s up with the Cover? If you get thrown one of these, then ‘swimmin’ time’ hasn’t gone well.

How I Came To Know It: My friend Justin introduced me to Shovels & Rope one night and I really liked their sound. I went out and picked up this album shortly thereafter.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have two Shovels & Rope albums. “Swimmin’ Time” is #1.

Ratings: 4 stars

Never underestimate the power of simple music. “Swimmin’ Time” is a master class in how much you can accomplish with some pretty harmonies, an infectious beat and something to say.

Shovels & Rope (argh…ampersand) is a folk duo comprised of husband and wife team Michael Trent and Cary Ann Hearst. For a duo they move a lot of air, and a big part of the magic is how focused they are on beat and rhythm. “Swimmin’ Time” has foot stompin’, hand clappin’ and infectious, anticipatory drum beats. The couple let their vocals carry the melody, and the other instruments are locked in step with the drum so much that their main impact is to add oomph.

If you’re looking for thoughtful guitar picking or complex strum patterns, look elsewhere. I am usually looking for those things, but this record does what it does so well I never missed them.

Neither Trent nor Hearst are powerhouse vocalists but because of how they approach their music it doesn’t matter. Their harmonies are sometimes so loose they sound almost like a duet, and sometimes they are so tight they’re like a single person. Whatever structure they’re using, they have a great sense of timing, and how to make the natural beat of a song serve the story they’re telling. They both have a rough edge to their singing styles, and it gives all that artful harmony have a bit of grit you don’t often hear in this style of singing. The experience is like sitting around a campfire, feeling a sense of community and a confidence that you could join in anytime and not offend a soul.

The album opens with “The Devil is All Around” which begins as a sweet and sorrowful a capella, before a drum beat kicks in and the duo sing:

“I got wasted and I sat around the fire all day
See if I could find someone to make love to
And I barely even noticed how the fibers did tear away
From the fabric of my being
But nobody knows it like you do, babe
Nobody knows it like you do
The lengths we will go to.”

They hit that “I got wasted” line with a fervor that lets you know they’ve been there. The rest of the line is all harmony, but feels like a single narrator. It’s just that this narrator has got so much pain to share it takes two voices just to get it out.

The Devil Is All Around” is just one of several songs on the record that thematically explore our relationship with evil – and by evil Shovels & Rope are talking about that voice in people encouraging them to do bad things. This record is filled with people hitting their kids, burning bridges and turning to drugs, all the while knowing each step forward is just another step in the wrong direction.

But there is fun on the record as well, including a couple of sweet fishing songs (“Fish Assassin” and “Stono River Blues”). Both evoked childhood memories of shore casting on the local lakes around the small town I grew up. Sometimes I miss that.

On any record where two people are so perfectly expressing a single thought with two voices, it is only appropriate that they explore how our actions impact one another. This is expertly explored on the love song “Mary Ann & One Eyed Dan” (argh…ampersand) and the more emotionally complicated “Pinned.

The album ends with the haunting tale of the tragic loss of the USS Thresher, a submarine that was lost to the ocean’s depths with all hands on board in 1963. Just like Gordon Lightfoot’s “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” it is a story of a nautical disaster that I would never have known without someone who took the time to immortalize the struggle in a song. Damn folk music is awesome.

There are some songs on this record that feel a bit hokey, and because of that I was originally going to give it a three out of five. Also their gratuitous use of the lazy and semi-literate ampersand didn’t help.

Instead a busy weekend delayed the review to the point that I got a full six listens in before I was able to sit down and share a few words about what I thought. During this time I never once got tired of hearing these songs – even the hokey ones. Hoke and ampersands be damned; a good record has staying power, and this record has it.


Best tracks: The Devil Is All Around, Pinned, Stono River Blues, Mary Ann & One-Eyed Dan, Thresher

No comments: