Tuesday, May 24, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 869: Gordon Lightfoot

After a lovely four day weekend it was back to the workin’ world today. That’s OK though, because I am a glass half full kind of guy, and I had Gord to keep me company there and back again.

Disc 869 is….Gord’s Gold

Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Year of Release: 1975 but featuring music from 1969-1975 (and even 1966-68 if you count the re-recorded versions of earlier tracks).

What’s up with the Cover? This cover tells me two things:
  1. No one does a ‘giant head’ album cover like Gordon Lightfoot. Just look at that beautiful man staring cool and confident out into the world.
  2. Who Star Lord’s father is in the “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie.
How I Came To Know It: My mom owned this album on vinyl back when I was a kid. She played it a lot, and so did I. It was one of a handful of records from my mom’s collection that would get in regular rotation alongside my brother’s KISS and Blue Oyster Cult collection.

How It Stacks Up:  This is a compilation album so it doesn’t stack up. However, as compilation albums go it is a hell of a lot better than the risible “Gord’s Gold Vol. 2” (reviewed way back at Disc 107).

As an aside back at Disc 107 I wasn’t yet doing the “What’s Up with the Cover?” feature. That’s too bad, because I would have enjoyed savaging Gord’s grandpa sweater and mom jeans.

Ratings: compilations don’t get a rating.

Like I said in the teaser, I am a glass half full kind of guy, but it wasn’t always so. I wasn’t a happy kid. Not miserable or anything, but definitely more on the quiet side. I did a lot of my learning about the world through books and music back then, and while I’m hardly quiet anymore the books and music have stuck.

Gord’s Gold was a big part of that early experience. This was the Gordon Lightfoot album everyone owned, and our house was no exception. I’d slip it out of the paper jacket with all the reverence and dignity that my brother Virgil had taught me to treat a record with.

Then I’d settle down when I was feeling low - or maybe just thoughtful - and let Gord’s easygoing wisdom open my very young mind (I would have been about five when this record came out).

The song’s on Gord’s Gold are like old friends, except they are older than old friends. They are like relatives, like kind uncles. These were songs that showed me that a big man could be gentle and relaxed.

Many of the lessons Gord taught I was too young at first to properly understand, but accompanied by his even, slightly nasal tone, and his trilling guitar, I emotionally understood what they were about and have circled back to them year after year.

With “Don Quixote” and “Circle of Steel” Gord taught me about social injustice, from the perspectives of both those who fight it and those who are ground under by it. As a kid I just liked the heroic tale of Don Quixote. It was only later I recognized the social commentary. Years after that I realized the original story was a comedy that Lightfoot had repurposed. Whatever the tone of the story, Lightfoot gave me a romantic appreciation for the quixotic long before I ever used the word.

Lightfoot taught me about debauchery with “Steel Rail Blues” (about a guy who gambles away his train ticket) and “Early Morning Rain” (about a guy who drinks away his air fare). I’ve only ever managed the cab fare blues on this front, but I can attest to it being equal parts regret and adventure, just like in the songs.

Gord introduced me to heartbreak as well, although there is really no introduction to that until you’ve had it firsthand. Still, listening to “Ribbon of Darkness” and “If You Could Read My Mind” I knew that it was something great and terrible. When I was five I thought “Carefree Highway” was what happened when it was over. Then I lost my first great love and learned what “the morning after, blues/from my head down to my shoes” actually feels like. Thanks for the warning, Gord. Also, thanks for the song when it happened so I had something to keep me company when I felt most alone.

But the best thing “Gord’s Gold” ever taught me was how to be happy. Happiness is a state of mind, and these songs put me in it. The ones that really appealed were “Wherefore and Why” and “Rainy Day People”. The first song teaches you the secret to happiness:

“Come on sunshine, what can you show me
Where can you take me to make me understand?
The wind can shake me, brothers forsake me
The rain can touch me, but can I touch the rain?

“Then all at once it came to me, I saw the wherefore
And you can see it if you try
It's in the sun above, it's in the one you love
You'll never know the reason why.”

Sound like a lot of hippy mumbo-jumbo? Maybe, but take a deep breath and read it again. Gord is saying, ‘relax and take it all in.’ Try it, it works. And once it’s in you, you can pass it on, which brings us to “Rainy Day People”:

“Rainy day people always seem to know when you're feeling blue
High stepping strutters who land in the gutter sometimes need one too
Take it or leave it, or try to believe it, if you've been down too long
Rainy day lovers don't hide love inside they just pass it on.”

I’ve been lucky to have a few rainy day people in my life over the years, and on my better moments I try to remember to be one.

This record isn’t perfect. Gord inexplicably re-recorded the earliest tracks (no doubt yelling “why the hell should people recognize my hits!”). Fortunately in 1975 he was still at the height of his talents, and the re-dos are solid. Also, the “Canadian Railroad Trilogy” is a bit too CBC after-school special for my tastes.

Other than that though, this is some solid stuff, from one of the original rainy day people in my life. It may be just a lowly greatest hits album, but forty years later, “Gord’s Gold” still puts me in a thoughtful and meditative mood, open-hearted and eager to learn.

Best tracks:  Wherefore and Why, Bitter Green, Early Morning Rain, Sundown, Rainy Day People, Don Quixote, Old Dan’s Records, If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway

No comments: