Monday, May 9, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 864: Til Tuesday

I had a weekend entertaining my mom and brother (happy Mother’s Day, mom!). It was fun showing them around my home town but all that socializing has me a bit knackered.

Fortunately, I had a pretty positive day for a Monday and the week ahead is full of both social events and work challenges. I’m looking forward to both!

Disc 864 is….Voices Carry
Artist: ‘til Tuesday

Year of Release: 1985

What’s up with the Cover? These four look like they stepped out of 1985, but that’s because they did. Aimee Mann now has long straight hair, so it is fun to see her funky eighties haircut, as well as that mix of apprehension and excitement on her face.

How I Came To Know It: I grew up with the song “Voices Carry” but never owned the album (my brother had it on vinyl and Sheila had it on cassette, however). I think I may have bought this for Sheila as a gift. I had a few years there where I mistakenly thought she wanted to revisit all her favourite eighties albums. I’ve since recovered.

How It Stacks Up:  ‘til Tuesday made three albums, but like most people I only have this one so there is no stacking up to be done. I have all eight of Aimee Mann’s solo albums but again, this is not a straight comparison.

Ratings: 2 stars

I’m not a fan of eighties production, and ‘til Tuesday’s debut album, “Voices Carry” did nothing to convince me otherwise. Instead, it almost convinced me of the value in downloading single songs instead of owning a CD just to own one track. Almost.

The production on this record is truly painful. Drum machines panck away in robotic fashion and a synthesizer drones throughout. Every now and then you hear a bass that sounds relatively organic (that’s Aimee Mann playing) but those moments are rare. The lead guitar is practically non-existent, or so overproduced you can’t tell for sure if it is even a guitar. At times I think it might have been a key-tar, but I can’t prove it.

Some albums are so perfectly suited to eighties production that it makes the album even better (like the Cars’ debut and some have songs so powerful they overcome the production decisions (like Springsteeen’s “Tunnel of Love”). “Voices Carry” manages neither. The arrangements are done in New Wave style, but are far too pop-sweet to have to jarring impact New Wave should have. The songs themselves aren’t terrible, but they don’t have what it takes to rise above the mess of synth and drum machine they are buried under.

Lyrically, this record didn’t engage me either. “Love in a Vacuum” is supposed to be a song about a one-sided relationship. Instead, I couldn’t stop imagining it as an upcoming Pixar movie about a bunch of animated dust-motes inside a vacuum cleaner.

Because, let’s face it, this album is all about the title track. “Voices Carry” is a great song, with a chugging guitar riff and pretty hook that has withstood the test of time. Everything that makes large swathes of this record fail, function beautifully on this song. Mann’s voice is waifish, but it sounds vulnerable and sweet here, not affected. The synthesizer is unearthly and even a little majestic, rather than artificial. This song is a winner, so much so that ‘til Tuesday is fated to be remembered only for it. If you have to be a one-hit wonder, this is a fine track to have as your legacy.

There are a couple of other OK songs that also appealed to me. “You Know the Rest” is all about the synth, but makes it work in a “Clannad meets Belinda Carlisle” kind of way. “Sleep” is the final track on the album and manages to draw me into an emotional connection. It is still very eighties, but has a genuine feeling of loss about it that shines through. Springsteen would be proud, even if it came a bit too late.

Aimee Mann is one of my favourite pop artists these days, and over the past twenty years she has released some of the greatest (and most woefully underappreciated) pop albums ever made. On “Voices Carry” she is still finding her style. Maybe it is revisionist history, but it feels like her talents are trapped in the confines of ‘til Tuesday’s style, and it doesn’t suit her. Lucky for all of us she went on to have an amazing career. Even this first effort has its moments, and is worth keeping in the collection.

Best tracks:  Voices Carry, You Know the Rest, Sleep

No comments: