Tuesday, April 12, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 855: Neil Young

It hasn’t been a good month for my relationship with Neil Young with the second straight review resulting in one of his albums leaving my collection.

Disc 855 is….America Stars ‘n’ Bars
Artist: Neil Young

Year of Release: 1977

What’s up with the Cover? Here’s an interesting factoid from Wikipedia (which is never wrong): this cover was designed by actor Dean Stockwell. Based on this example Dean should stick to acting. We get a glimpse of Neil’s head, a shot up a woman’s skirt, a bottle of booze and some kind of urn or spittoon all leading to the inevitable question, “why?”

I usually opt for the alternative cover on this record:
Some First Nations imagery combined with majestic mountains. It isn’t a great cover either, but it is a hell of a lot better than what’s behind Door #1.

How I Came To Know It: I recently was fleshing out my Neil Young album and I bought “Chrome Dreams II,” “Comes A Time” and this album. As Bad Santa teaches us, “they can’t all be winners, kid.”

How It Stacks Up:  With the recent exit of “A Letter Home” from my collection of Neil Young has now shrunk to 19 albums. Of these I’ll put “America Stars ‘n’ Bars” in 19th, or the new last place.

Ratings: 2 stars

“America Stars ‘n’ Bars” is a rambling collection of songs that isn’t sure what it wants to be. It isn’t bad so much as it is unfocused. It’s like a kid that switches his major too often, and then just drops out of college to hitchhike across America.

The record didn’t anger or frustrate me like “A Letter Home” did, and there aren’t any songs I can point to with any great ill-will. At the same time, there aren’t enough songs that catch my attention and make me want to hear more.

Hey Babe” has a nice rolling flow, and “Hold Back the Tears” has a pretty country twang that feels like a gentle summer song, but neither one stands out as brilliant either. Neil writes songs like this without effort, but on “America Stars ‘n’ Bars” it is like peeking behind the curtain to see him doing it easily. The record lacks…edge.

Bite the Bullet” is one of the stronger tracks, and also one of the more rockin’ songs, full of sexual innuendo and driving energy. The guitar on this track is also great, with that trademark grimy sound that Neil and Crazy Horse can always muster. As an aside this is a totally different track from Motorhead's song of the same name. I know, hard to believe, but true.

I also enjoyed “Homegrown,” another rock song this time about good ol’ seventies grass. Again, the rock guitar is great and generally the rock songs on the album are better than the softer more introspective folk-driven tracks.

The worst of the softer tracks is the meandering seven minute “Will to Love” which takes forever to not get very far at all. The song includes a recording of a crackling fire that made me think of the Shaw Cable channel “Log” that they put on during the holiday season. In the video, the local cable company broadcasts a looped recording of a fireplace as a sort of public service to those of us not lucky enough to have the real thing.

Will to Love” is similar to “Log” in that it is pleasant enough to enjoy for a few minutes, but you get quickly bored waiting for something to happen. The song meanders around a bit and never quite gets to the point. At one point Neil even sings:

“Sometimes I ramble on and on
And I repeat myself until all my friends are gone.”

With these lines Neil gives a voice to the problem I have with the song and more generally, the album. It isn’t that it is bad, it is that I want it to be better.

It might be the residual effects of “A Letter Home” working on me, but despite the good qualities of this record I’m going to part company with it as well. As Dr. Seuss might say, “I can lick 18 Neil Young albums today!”


Best tracks:  Bite the Bullet, Homegrown

No comments: