Friday, April 8, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 853: Billy Bragg

I’m just back from running a bunch of errands and prepared to settle in and wait for movers to bring me some new furniture.

Amidst the chores I found time to nip into the local record store(s) and find a few bargains. I am now the proud owner of two new Dar Williams albums and one more Carolyn Mark album. I guess it was a day for folk music.

On that note, here’s another great folk artist.

Disc 853 is….Worker’s Playtime
Artist: Billy Bragg

Year of Release: 1988

What’s up with the Cover? Based on the title of the album, this would be some workers taking a break. This particular break looks suspiciously like a formal meeting, with a loudspeaker a bunch of flags and assorted sloganeering. Holding a meeting over the lunch hour is not a break, Billy.

I note the cover has a logo that says “capitalism is killing music.” Er…what? I’m more concerned with illegal downloads. Don’t steal your music. Buy it and support musicians!

How I Came To Know It: Last year I was digging through looking for Billy Bragg albums I’d missed earlier and were worth getting. “Workers Playtime” is one of two albums I picked up along the way. The other is “England, Half English” (reviewed not long ago at Disc 804). I am still looking for “Mr. Love and Justice,” which I haven’t been able to find on CD yet. Yes, I happen to buy my music on antiquated technology. All those CDs is what the blog is all about, people!

How It Stacks Up:  I have eight Billy Bragg albums. Of the eight, I put “Worker’s Playtime” in seventh, just edging out “England, Half English.” That doesn’t mean it is bad. I only own my favourite Billy Bragg albums, so competition is tough.

Ratings: 3 stars

Some albums just feel like break up albums. I have no idea what Billy Bragg’s personal life had going on in 1988 (I like to encounter the music with as little outside knowledge as possible), but “Workers Playtime” has a lot of heartache on it.

Fortunately, Bragg is a gifted storyteller, so even if his stories are sad and troubled they are still enjoyable to listen to. At least half this record is composed of break up songs, seen from different facets. Bragg deftly paints the picture of relationships at the painful edge of ending, others in full decay, and still others that are just plain destructive from the outset.

The best of the lot is “Valentine’s Day Is Over” which is told from the perspective of a woman who is tired of her drunk, abusive partner. Bragg weaves poverty and unemployment into the story, reminding us that money issues puts pressure on any relationship, while still not excusing the dirtbag’s behaviour.

The song ends with the man trying to win back his lady’s affection with a Valentine’s gift and her answer is a fitting wakeup call for him:

“Thank you for the things you brought me, thank you for the card
Thank you for the things you taught me when you hit me hard
That love between two people must be based on understanding
Until that’s true you’ll find your things
All stacked out on the landing, surprise, surprise.”

Beyond the lyrics, “Valentine’s Day is Over” is set to a melody that is mournful and thoughtful, with a clever transition to a triumphant chord progression, mirroring one woman’s journey from despair to empowerment.

While not all of the heartbreak tracks on “Workers Playtime” can’t match the musical strengths of “Valentine’s Day is Over” all of them deliver great insight into the many ways love can die.

This being a Billy Bragg album, it wouldn’t be complete without some social commentary. “Tender Comrade” is an a capella track against war, and “Rotting on Remand” is a critique of the conditions prisoners undergo while imprisoned and awaiting trial. Both songs are OK, but musically neither grabbed me.

Much better on this front is “Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards” in which Bragg seems equally disillusioned with capitalism and communism. The song cuts a nice path between disappointment and inspiration. At his core, Bragg has always been an optimist when it comes to the human spirit, and the song’s energy builds naturally until it ends with a chorus of people singing along in unison.

Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards” has Bragg saying that if you don’t like the system you’re living under, work to build a new one. I don’t share his revolutionary fervor, but I agree that if you want to make a difference, sitting around complaining isn’t gonna do it.

This is a music blog, not a political blog, so I’ll leave it at that, just as Bragg’s song fades out and leaves us energized despite all those damned broken hearts he’s peppered the record with earlier.


Best tracks:  Must I Paint You a Picture, The Price I Pay, Valentine’s Day is Over, Waiting For the Great Leap Forwards

No comments: