Sunday, March 6, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 841: Robbie Robertson

Today is a good day. I am starting to feel better and I’ve had a relaxing morning watching old movies on daytime T.V. and recharging my batteries. I probably should have done something useful, but I think I deserve points for honesty.

Disc 841 is….Robbie Robertson (Self-Titled)
Artist: Robbie Robertson

Year of Release: 1987

What’s up with the Cover? And so Robbie’s giant head continues to haunt the…train station? Stadium? A&W drive in? Whatever it is, it has Robbie looking pensive and distracted. That would happen to anyone who was having their hair melt away into the sky.

How I Came To Know It: This album belongs to Sheila. She’s liked it since it first came out and bought it on CD to replace her cassette tape copy when that technology died. I’m just along for the ride.

How It Stacks Up:  Unless you count Spooky Tooth’s remake of the classic Band song “The Weight,” this is all the Robbie Robertson we have, so it can’t really stack up.

Ratings: 3 stars

Listening to Robbie Robertson’s first solo album I couldn’t stop thinking about Peter Gabriel’s “So” (reviewed back at Disc 777). Robertson’s album has a lot in common with that album, except it was released a year later and is not as good. Sorry, Robbie.

It makes sense that the albums have a similar sound and not just because of their release years. Both are produced by Canadian Daniel Lanois and both benefit from the atmospheric majesty that is Lanois’ signature sound. “Fallen Angel” even features Gabriel on backing vocals, so the connection was more than just in my head. Unfortunately, Robertson’s record doesn’t achieve the same level as “So,” principally because the songs are not as strong.

There are still things to like about the record. I liked the gravel in Robertson’s voice and the songs are well constructed with solid progressions. That they didn’t appeal to me has more to do with my general dislike of what the mid to late eighties did with music than any particular sin on Robertson’s part.

The big hit on the record was “Showdown at Big Sky” which made it all the way to #2 and was everywhere on the radio back in the day. I don’t hate this song, but I could never figure out what the fuss was all about. It is just OK.

For me the magic happens on “Broken Arrow” which is far and away the best song on the record. I love its slow and measured start and I love its whimsical and romantic lyrics:

“Who’s gonna bring you a broken arrow?
Who’s gonna bring you a bottle of rain?”

Everything from Robbie’s soulful delivery to the light touches of reverbed electric guitar is perfect, even the slow fadeout (which usually annoys me) works on “Broken Arrow.” This is a song for everyone who ever lost their breath when they first saw a beautiful girl and wondered what would be the perfect thing to say to win her heart. Just walk up to her and smoothly ask:

 “Do you feel what I feel?
Can we make that so it's part of the deal?”

And if that scares her off (which is likely, by the way) she wasn’t feeling it anyway. Just as well you didn’t break out the “bottle of rain” stuff and really freaked her out. I’m just happy to live in Robbie Robertson’s world, where that kind of heartfelt and slightly cheesy line works, if only for the 5:24 that the song lasts.

The other standout is “Testimony” which sounds like James Brown crossed with David Bowie. Robertson clearly enjoys testifying as he celebrates the life of the artist, even invoking the name of Apollo himself. It is big, ballsy and celebratory.

Other than these two songs, the album didn’t hold my attention. “Sweet Fire of Love” felt like U2 (again, under the influence of Daniel Lanois) but without the majesty of Bono’s voice. “Somewhere Down the Crazy River” is a spoken work piece where Robertson is trying to sound chill and relaxed but instead comes off like a watered down Tom Waits.

While uneven, Robertson’s first solo effort is solid enough that I’m going to give it 3 stars. “Broken Arrow” is a classic and if the rest of the album didn’t blow me away, it was still a pleasant enough listen overall.

Best tracks:  Broken Arrow, Testimony

No comments: