Tuesday, February 16, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 832: Interpol

Another late night at work is over and I’m home and ready to review an album.

Disc 832 is….Our Love to Admire
Artist: Interpol

Year of Release: 2007

What’s up with the Cover? “Nature, red in tooth and claw” as Alfred, Lord Tennyson would say. This is one of those photos where no one seems to be having a good time. Both lions look sad, although the one on the left looks more depressed and the one on the right merely cranky. The antelope just looks bored, or maybe that is just resignation. All things considered, he’s taking the whole “I’m being preyed upon” thing pretty well.

How I Came To Know It: I think Sheila heard about this album and bought it for me for Christmas or a birthday. I’m a bit hazy on the details. Maybe I bought it for her?

How It Stacks Up:  I once had two Interpol albums: this one and “Antics” which I reviewed back at Disc 518 and then promptly sold. Fortunately, I like “Our Love to Admire” a lot better.

Ratings: 3 stars.

Interpol is the oughts’ answer to eighties Goth bands like the Smiths and the Cure; deep and woeful and occasionally so affected as to lose the emotional impact it intended. That said, “Our Love to Admire” a guilty pleasure. I quite liked this album, flaws and all.

It starts strong with “Pioneer to the Falls” and its ominous opening line:

“Show me the dirt pile
And I will pray that the soul can take
Three stowaways”

The music is haunting and Paul Banks’ vocals are creepy and discordant, which is what this song needs. I’m not sure what “Pioneer to the Falls” is about. Something dark and depressing though, and probably related to death. That’s how Interpol rolls, much like their Goth forebears. The song ends with:

“In a passion it broke
I pull the black from the gray
But the soul can wait
I felt you so much today.”

Because gray wasn’t depressing enough, they had to pull the black from it.

The album lightens up with the (relatively) fun-loving “No I in Threesome” which is pretty much about what you’d expect. Interpol handles the topic with a sexy energy that reminded me of Depeche Mode when they are feeling naughty.

Unfortunately after a promising beginning the album loses its momentum. Banks’ vocal style is to sing everything with Great Import but often at the cost of investing any real emotion. The songs are very stark and the excess reverb and other effects gloss over the melodies on a lot of the tracks. It is OK for mood music (if your mood is gloomy) but it doesn’t have enough pathos to draw me in.

The album’s single “The Heinrich Maneuver” is full of restless energy but never feels like it gets anywhere. It is like a kid that’s eaten too many candies and now his mom won’t let him go play outside and he’s bouncing off the walls. This isn’t a bad song but it just reminds me too much of the Killers, which is not a good thing.

The guys do generate a fairly unique sound of echo and angst, and they have a good understanding of how to make studio production serve that sound. It would be interesting to hear these songs done acoustically or maybe sung by someone else (sorry Paul).

Near the end of the album though, as I was losing interest, the record was redeemed by “Rest My Chemistry” a song about drug abuse. A lot of “Our Love to Admire” feels raw, burned out, or lyrically disconnected. These qualities work in their favour on “Rest My Chemistry” which takes place more than two days into the binge:

“I haven't slept for two days
I've bathed in nothing but sweat
And I've made hallways scenes for things to regret.
My friends they come.
And the lines they go by

“Tonight I'm gonna rest my chemistry
Tonight I'm gonna rest my chemistry”

Hearing this song is like feeling the frayed nerves of someone who has finally reached the end of their endurance and decided to take a night off. He hasn’t come down yet and his body is thrumming (again mirrored in the music), but he is ready to do so. I also like the double meaning of “rest my chemistry,” both putting aside the drugs and also resting his own body’s chemistry. The song does not suggest the craving is gone for good, but merely that he is taking a breather. Interpol infuses this small victory with all the importance they can muster.

Overall “Our Love to Admire” has some annoyances but it also has a few victories, chief among them “Rest My Chemistry.” Add it all up and you get a good album, but not a great one.

Best tracks:  Pioneer to the Falls, No I in Threesome, Rest My Chemistry

No comments: