Sunday, February 14, 2016

CD Odyssey Disc 831: Diamond Head

Happy Valentine’s Day! I’ve had a pretty good Valentine’s Day weekend, just housin’ and chillin’ with my girl.

Disc 831 is….Am I Evil? The Diamond Head Anthology
Artist: Diamond Head

Year of Release: 2004 but featuring music from 1980-1993

What’s up with the Cover? The Diamond Head logo on a white background. I like this album cover’s simplicity.

How I Came To Know It: I can’t remember. I knew I wanted to get the original version of “Am I Evil?” after learning that the Metallica version was a cover. It was likely one of two fellow metal fans (Spence or Ross) that alerted me to the band.

How It Stacks Up:  This is a compilation album so according to long-standing CD Odyssey policy and procedures it doesn’t stack up.

Ratings: Compilation albums don’t get rated either. That’s just how I roll. If you want to know how I feel about this one you’re going to have to keep reading.

I tend prefer anthologies to greatest hits records because they have a lot more music and therefore give you a better feel for what the band is all about.  Diamond Head’s “Am I Evil?” showcases the good and the bad of this approach.

This anthology covers the time when Sean Harris was the lead singer of the band, which only encompasses four studio albums. With two CDs and over two hours of music very little is left out. In fact from the band’s first two albums (1980’s “Lightning to the Nations” and 1982’s “Borrowed Time”) only two songs are missing. So unless you really like “Sweet and Innocent” and “Don’t You Ever Leave Me” you’re covered.

This early period showcases the best of Diamond Head. They are part of the very influential New Wave of British Heavy Metal at this time, alongside better known bands Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. They have elements that remind me of two those bands. The pounding guitar lines that deep down have their roots in the blues remind me strongly of Priest, but the fanciful songs about knights and dragons and prophecies show elements of Maiden as well.

Sean Harris doesn’t have the pipes of Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson, but he gets the job done, and Brian Tatler is talented at banging out a crunchy riff or a fast and furious solo on his electric guitar. Together these guys write all the songs, and have a flair for working in hints of prog rock, but never enough that you could call them on it. They aren’t afraid to alter the course of the song midway, but still keep the energy up.

The early tracks from 1980-1982 are definitely the highlights of the album. “Am I Evil?” is a classic track. In fact, once you hear the Diamond Head original you realize how little Metallica added to it. The two versions sound very similar and I have a hard time picking my favourite.

It’s Electric,” “Shoot Out the Lights” and “Dead Reckoning” are all classic Diamond Head songs, with power and energy that makes you feel like speeding (I listened to these songs while walking home from work, but I feel like they made me walk faster). “I Don’t Got” sounds like Led Zeppelin on steroids, which is just what Led Zeppelin needs sometimes.

Unfortunately, the second CD of the album highlights how the magic of their first two albums faded. Half of 1983’s “Canterbury” is on the anthology and you can feel the band lose its way into more pop-driven numbers. “Makin’ Music” feels more like seventies stadium rock than eighties metal. I still like the song, but it is missing the edge of their earlier stuff.

This is also the point the songs become more fantasy-based and I think if I had known Diamond Head back in 1983 I would’ve liked this part of their career much more. “Knight of the Swords” is about the series of books by Michael Moorcock about Corum Jhaelen Irsei which I loved as a kid. Check out these crazy fantasy-fueled lyrics:

"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause
To vanquish the swords of chaos and tip the scales again
The last of noble blood you know time must take its course
You blood red robe will never feel the same."

This also puts Diamond Head in elite company with Blue Oyster Cult and Hawkwind, all bands who wrote songs about Moorcock’s Eternal Champion fantasy novels.

Unfortunately, the last half of the second CD in the anthology is dedicated to their 1993 comeback album “Death and Progress” which – based on the four songs included here – is more death than progress. All semblance of heaviness has been stripped out and even the fantasy fun is missing. The best I can offer is that they sound like a better version of Def Leppard. Unfortunately even a good version of Def Leppard is not good.

Overall, “Am I Evil?” is a great anthology of Diamond Head, but much like the band it is better early on and slowly fades as you are walked through the band’s career. I hate to be one of those “I only like their early stuff” music snobs, but this time it’s true.

Best tracks:  Am I Evil?, The Prince, It’s Electric, Shoot Out the Lights, We Won’t Be Back, I Don’t Got, Dead Reckoning, Borrowed Time, Makin’ Music, Knight of the Swords

No comments: