Tuesday, June 16, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 748: Mark Knopfler

When I’m done this review I’m going to go finish watching the Hollow Crown production of Shakespeare’s “Richard II.” The series was loaned to me by my friend Kate, and although I’m only an hour in I already know I owe here a favour.

But first, let’s carry on with the CD Odyssey – since that’s why I’m here and since you are reading this, I’ll assume the same for you.

Disc 748 is….Privateering
Artist: Mark Knopfler

Year of Release: 2012

What’s up with the Cover?  Welcome to the 21st century where this is now a thing. By this, I mean album covers with little or no connection to the artist or the album itself. I blame Belle and Sebastian for starting this trend. Here Mark Knopfler has decided to make an entry into the Pointless Cover Olympics with what I’ve titled “Old Van, Old Dog, Pile of Tires.” This is the best one could hope for from a picture with a description like that, but that is still damning it with faint praise.

How I Came To Know It: I am an avowed Mark Knopfler fan – I bought this unheard when it came out, because Mark has earned that trust from me over the years.

How It Stacks Up: I have eight Mark Knopfler albums. Of those eight, “Privateering” is going in at third, displacing “Shangri-La” which I just reviewed at Disc 740. Oops.

Ratings: 3 stars and worth your time, but it’s complicated – more on that later.

“Privateering” is a combination of Mark Knopfler at his absolute best, and Mark Knopfler who doesn’t know when to say when.

The album starts out strong with “Redbud Tree,” a song where he displays his ability to paint a picture with music and lyrics. The song is about someone (something?) hiding in the branches of a redbud tree and you can listen to this song ten times (I have) and still not know the circumstances of hunter and hunted. It doesn’t matter – the scene is so evocative that you feel a permanent connection of gratitude to a tree that hid someone (something?) from certain death. It’s the relationship between the succored and the tree – the circumstances are secondary.

Redbud Tree” also continues Knopfler’s penchant for starting an album with a song that shows off his guitar genius. More understated now than in his days of rock and roll, but still as beautiful as ever.

For the most part, the whole of the first half of “Privateering” is full of equal brilliance. “Haul Away” is about losing someone at sea (for real, or maybe just metaphorically). It is also one of the great sea shanties I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard a lot of them. If you’ve ever held the railing of a ship in a gentle swell and leaned out over the water, feeling helplessly and beautifully lost, then this is a song for you.

Later Knopfler would drop another modern classic of the sea with the title track. Where “Haul Away” is a song of mourning, “Privateering” is full of black-sailed adventure. Knopfler turns his keen historical eye on the golden age of piracy. Best lines out of many great ones:

“Come with me to Barbary
We’ll ply there up and down
Not quite exactly
In the service of the Crown
To lay with pretty women
To drink Madeira wine
To hear the rollers thunder
On a shore that isn’t mine.”

Phew! I swear if there are past lives, I was a sailor in more than one of them.

Before the first ten songs are over on this record, Knopfler has not only taken us out to sea, he’s broken our hearts in a more conventional manner with “Go, Love” and then made us fall in love all over again with “Seattle.” Along the way he’s plucked some upbeat stuff to keep our heart rate up. 18 years after his first solo album, it is an album as good as any.

But then, he doesn’t stop. Instead, he decides to make this into a double album, and adds another ten songs. The slower songs are mostly pale facsimiles of those on the first disc. The faster ones have that stale and dated smell about them that music people without rhythm like to dance to because it’s “easy”. You know the stuff – that empty mid-tempo zombie-swing that sits somewhere between roots and blues and can be found in every small town pub on a Wednesday night. Six customers are in the place; two of them are shuffling back and forth on the dance floor and you and your buddy from high school make up half of the rest.

There are some good tracks on the second disc, notably a lovely historical piece called “Dream of the Drowned Submariner” (yes, the sea again) which is “Disc One” worthy. “Today is OK” is a lowlife character study, about a brawler and a drinker that (unless I’m mishearing the lyrics) goes out to do both and then comes home feeling frisky; also strong enough for Disc One.

In fact, if I had been producing this album, I would have just put these two on the first disc and have done with it. Sadly, like an overlong Dire Straits solo at a live show, Mark decides he must have it all and instead ends up having too much.

So what I’m going to do is make my own version of this CD as described above and play that one around the house. I can’t do that under the rules of the Odyssey, but I sure as hell can in my spare time.


Best tracks: Redbud Tree, Haul Away, Privateering, Miss You Blues, Go Love, Seattle, Dream of the Drowned Submariner, Today is OK

No comments: