Friday, May 29, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 742: Nikki Lane

Happy day! My annual holidays have arrived!

I have other holidays through the year, but the week I take off in June is the one that is all about me, where I get to relax, recharge and generally fill my days with my favourite activities. I got started last night with some beers with my friend Tom, and now I’m going to write this review before meeting my lovely wife for lunch. Life is good.

Disc 742 is….Walk of Shame
Artist: Nikki Lane

Year of Release: 2011

What’s up with the Cover?  Behold, Nikki Lane and her giant head. Those deep blue eyes draw you in, but not as much as the back of the album:
Ah, the walk of shame in all its glory. Nikki is embarrassed by that unseemly tear in her pleather dress, but what she should be ashamed of is the album’s copy editor who has spelled her song “Look Away” as “Look Awtay”. There’s nothing shameful about walking home after a fun night out, but spelling errors like that? That’s just wrong.

How I Came To Know It: I read an article about her in a music magazine Sheila bought me for my birthday, and I decided to check her out on Youtube and see if I liked her. I did, and bought her 2014 album, “All or Nothin’”. Digging deeper I found out she also had “Walk of Shame” so I ordered it on Amazon, after a few months of fruitless searching at the local record stores.

How It Stacks Up:  If you’ve been reading along carefully, you’ll know that I’ve got two Nikki Lane albums. Of the two I prefer “Walk of Shame.” It just has a bit more punch than “All or Nothing.”

Ratings: 3 stars

“Walk of Shame” strays dangerously close to ‘new country’ multiple times, and I could have very easily found myself hating this record. Fortunately, Nikki Lane stays just on the wrong side of the tracks, which is where I like my country music.

The song structures are heavily influenced by the evils of Nashville, with Taylor Swift-like chord progressions in places that had me yawning. Don’t get me wrong, Taylor Swift is a gifted songwriter and your 12 year old daughter could do a lot worse for her first record. It just isn’t my cup of tea.

Fortunately, Lane’s music has an edge to it that kept drawing me in. The songs are very grown up for a songwriter right out of the gate. When she sings about the “Walk of Shame” it is funny for sure, but it is clear that song is more about triumph than shame. Nikki got lucky, and if there is a bit of awkwardness on the walk home, it was worth it. The refrain of “won’t do it again, won’t do it again” on the chorus is funny because it is clear she will. In the hands of a different singer, this song could be exploitative, but again Lane straddles that line without ever going over.

There is an air of rebellion throughout the record that goes beyond the usual “girls just want to have fun” vibe that you get from more obvious country singers like Gretchen Wilson or more recently Carrie Underwood.

Gone Gone Gone” is particularly appealing, matching the chugging train bass beat of a Johnny Cash song with a bluesy collection of minor chords that would be at home on a Blue Rodeo album. These minor chords underscore how badly small town girls with big dreams need to get the hell out of town. It’s true for small town boys too – take it from one who knows.

The album has touching songs as well, including the touring track “Coming Home to You” which is a pretty little love song and “Come Away Joe.” “Come Away Joe” is a sister song to “Gone Gone Gone” with a soaring, hopeful quality, maybe because it is always easier to get out of town when you’ve got company on the trip. You get the feeling though that Lane will leave without Joe if he decides to not come away.

Not appealing is Lane’s cover of Muddy Water’s “I Can’t Be Satisfied” which has been so new-countrified I didn’t even recognize it at first. The cheesy guitar strums stripped the grit out of the  song and replaced it with that kind of empty yeehawing that you get from acts called things like “Big and Rich.”

Lane is a bit restricted by her voice, which doesn’t have a lot of power. Her coquettish singing style masks this most of the time, but occasionally she sound too affected and pulls you out of the song.

Special kudos for keeping the record tight at only 10 songs and 32 minutes total playing time. There isn’t a lot of chaff here, and the songs were clearly chosen with care.

Best tracks: Walk of Shame, Coming Home to You, Gone Gone Gone, Come Away Joe

No comments: