Tuesday, May 5, 2015

CD Odyssey Disc 734: The Killers

I’m on a roll lately (literally) as this is my third review in three days. I suspect there are three reasons for this:
  • The albums have been short enough to get through in one day.
  • I haven’t been sufficiently inspired to listen to them a second time.
  • I’d like to review more albums than I buy so one day this project actually ends.

Disc 734 is…. Day & Age
Artist: Killers

Year of Release: 2008

What’s up with the Cover?  A desert scene at night, depicted as a bubble mosaic. I feel like a lot of effort was put into this cover to create something pretty unappealing.

How I Came To Know It: Sheila liked the Killers and had purchased their earlier two albums. “Day & Age” was me buying her their new release for her birthday. I try to make sure when I buy Sheila music I am not picking anything that I would ordinarily buy for myself because that would be a lame gift indeed.

How It Stacks Up:  We have three Killers albums and of those three, I like “Day & Age” the most.

Ratings: 3 stars

I try to never hate a band just for the sake of hating them, but even the most musically diverse of us fall short sometimes, and I admit that I have gone out of my way to hate the Killers. Their first two albums just seemed like vacuous pop music to me, and for a few years it was impossible to escape them. They blared out of every passing convertible Beemer and if you sought to escape indoors, they were usually playing in the pub as well.

Maybe I like “Day & Age” the best simply because it is the one I was force-fed the least. It didn’t do as well commercially and by 2008 I no longer had to sit and fidget while the people around me fanned their faces and talked about how much they liked the band.

I think it is more than that though. For starters, I think “Day & Age” is a bit more developed as a record, with stronger songwriting at its core and less reliance on the clash and racket of earlier efforts.

It is actually even more pop-centric than earlier efforts, and I like the way it works in light brushes of electronica into the songs. I also like that the production leaves a little space so your ear can appreciate the song as it develops, rather than the previous two albums that seem more interested in banging away on everything at once and hoping it works out. “Day & Age” has songs committing these crimes – notably “Spaceman” and to a lesser extent, “Losing Touch” but it is thankfully less pervasive.

This record can err on the other end as well, and ends up sounding too slick in places. Also the band comes across as being very deeply in love with themselves and their ideas, but at least there is more to love.

Love the Killers or hate them, you can’t deny Brandon Flowers has a voice that is solidly in the wheelhouse of the modern age. The high, almost falsetto power and eighties delivery is like many other singers haunting the radio waves (think Maroon 5). I don’t love or hate this sound – I’ve been through it once already in the early eighties with Prism and Nick Gilder – but I will say it has to be done just right not to sound fake.

Flowers manages to walk the fine line on a few songs, particularly “Human” a haunting tale that asks “are we human, or are we dancer?” Notwithstanding that logically both are possible, I find the question always has me thinking about the tightrope dancer in Nietzsche’s “Thus Spake Zarathustra.” It is likely just my own very unlikely connection here, but good art is about connecting experiences in others. Kudos to the Killers for giving me a little existential angst in the form of a pop song. No doubt the sugary coating makes it go down easier.

Joy Ride” is a funky track that evokes fast cars and kissing pretty girls in them, and “A Dustland Fairytale” has the kind of tragic love in desolate places that Springsteen might sing about. Not as good as Springsteen, mind you, but a solid effort.

There are some questionable production decisions, however; the West Indies steel drum in “I Can’t Stay” that I managed to forgive, and the eighties saxophone that I did not.

The album ends with “Goodnight, Travel Well” a directionless seven minutes of self-absorption that seemed determined to make me reject this Killers album like I have all the others. I was sorely tempted, but I just couldn’t do it. There is enough good stuff to make up for it.

If I only owned one Killers album (which would be totally fine with me), I think “Day & Age” would be it. I expect Killers fans would object to my choice, but I’ll just remind them that I usually don’t like this band at all.


Best tracks: Human, Joy Ride, A Dustland Fairytale

No comments: