Wednesday, May 21, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 621: James Brown

I’ve been having a crazy week as I work to clear the decks for some quality time off over the first week of June. My week off is an almost sacred ritual for me, when I recharge my batteries for the rest of the year, get some writing done and generally decompress. Last year this was interrupted by a family crisis, so this year I am even more in need of a break.  Sometimes you just need to slow down.

Of course, there are other times when you need to get on up! For those times, here is the album I’ve been working through for the past week or so.

Disc 621 is…. Foundations of Funk: A Brand New Bag 1964-1969
Artist: James Brown

Year of Release: 1996 but the music is from 1964-1969

What’s up with the Cover? Soul Brother No. 1, aka Mr. Dynamite, getting down on stage as only he knows how. I usually love outlandish clothes (I wear them myself) but this cape is not doing it for me, style-wise. Also, I bet it is a bitch to clean.

How I Came To Know It:  My buddies Nick and Spence both had this album and played it a lot when it was first released. I liked what I heard and so I bought it for myself.

How It Stacks Up:  This is a compilation album, so it doesn’t really stack up at all. If it did, it would stack up well.

Rating:  you can’t put a rating on a ‘best of’ album.

Two full albums, twenty-seven songs – eight of them over seven minutes long, and a total of over two and a half hours of music, and not once did this album lose my attention.

I talk a lot on the CD Odyssey about double albums that should be single albums, and how albums should ideally not exceed 14 tracks. I am also not keen on compilation albums because they tend to gloss over an artist’s career. “Foundations of Funk” breaks all these rules, and yet still comes out shining like the diamonds on James Brown’s cape.

In terms of overall length, when you deliver the funky stuff as consistently as James Brown and his band, you can play all night as far as I’m concerned. I recently reviewed Glenn Miller and as tight as that is, there is nothing more together than James Brown’s band in these years.

The album is perfectly timed during the latter half of the sixties where Brown’s band has some of the finest musicians. Other than the amazing Maceo Parker on saxophone, I didn’t know any of their names, but I broke my own rules to look them up and give them the recognition they deserve. Pee Wee Ellis also plays Saxophone, Jimmy Nolen delivers the funkiest guitar ever, and Bernard Odum (bass) and Clyde Stubblefield (drums) hold down the rhythm section.

Brown is the consummate band leader and guides the band, calling for them to be softer or faster, “give the drummer some” or at times to just let it ‘ooze out’.  They respond to every one of his directions perfectly in time, and never lose the irresistible grooves that make these songs the most sampled in rap music history.

A lot of James Brown compilations make the mistake of choosing very short versions of James Brown songs, sometimes even just having them fade out prematurely, like a bad K-Tel record. “Foundations of Funk” recognizes that part of James Brown’s charm is his ability to maintain and develop a powerful energy over a long period of time. Long cuts of “I Can’t Stand Myself” (7:19), “Cold Sweat” (6:50), “I Don’t Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing” (9:43) and “Ain’t It Funky Now” (9:28) take time to develop their groove and let you sink into the full band experience.

There are 27 tracks on this album, but with the exception of the last one (“Mother Popcorn”) there isn’t much chaff to complain about. These are all great versions of these songs that sound as organic and natural today, over forty years later, as they must have to the amazed audiences in the sixties, as James Brown set about almost singlehandedly inventing a new style of music – funk – out of the soul of the times.

In terms of covering an artist’s career, “Foundations of Funk” avoids the pitfall of trying to cover the many decades of James Brown’s catalogue. Instead it focuses tightly around six critical years where he developed from a basic soul crooner into a unique artist.

The songs are a mix of general good times, political messages of self-affirmation, often fused together. “I Don’t Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open Up the Door I’ll Get It Myself)” and “Say It Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud” deliver a message of self-empowerment that spoke positively and unequivocally about the need for racial equality. On the other end of the spectrum, “Ain’t It Funky Now” and “I Can’t Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)” are just good sexy fun. All the songs get your head bobbing and fill you with positive energy.

I don’t have any studio albums by James Brown (all three of my albums are compilations), and I would be happily be introduced to those someday. That said, as compilations go, you can’t do much better than “Foundations of Funk” – it takes its time to immerse you in the music and doesn’t rush you past all the things that make it great, just like each individual song on it. It is well worth your time.

Best tracks: Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag, Money Won’t Change You, Let Yourself Go, Cold Sweat, I Can’t Stand Myself, Say It Loud (I’m Black and I’m Proud), Give It Up or Turnit Loose, I Don’t Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing, Let a Man Come In And Do the Popcorn, Ain’t It Funky Now

No comments: