Wednesday, May 14, 2014

CD Odyssey Disc 620: Matthew Sweet

I am five minutes removed from watching the hated Montreal Canadiens knock my beloved Bruins out of the playoffs. It doesn’t get any lower than this.

Disc 620 is…. Girlfriend
Artist: Matthew Sweet

Year of Release: 1991

What’s up with the Cover? It’s a picture of actress Tuesday Weld, looking both glamorous and approachable. Tuesday Weld is a great name for a silver screen heartthrob, and a beautiful girl despite apparently not having a neck.

How I Came To Know It:  Yet another album introduced to me by my old roommate Greg, which I later bought for myself. Thanks, Greg!

How It Stacks Up:  Matthew Sweet has quietly released thirteen albums over almost thirty years. I’ve only got this one, so can’t really stack it up against the others.

Rating:  2 stars but almost 3

It is fitting I should get an album like “Girlfriend” today.  With all its moroseness and self-doubt it suits my current frame of mind well. On second thought, it is probably not quite murderous enough.

“Girlfriend” is Matthew Sweet’s third album, and the only one that I can remember ever making a splash. The title track was a moderate hit on the alternative scene probably because of its reverb and layered sound, which while not itself grunge, made a nice complement to that scene. I didn’t love “Girlfriend” the song, finding it busy in places, and even a bit boring. Fortunately my buddy Greg bought the album, which allowed me to get to know the deeper cuts, and they won me over.

The opening track on the album, “Divine Intervention” is my favourite with an opening sting of guitar feedback and then a reverberating riff that is both groovy and wistful. “Divine Intervention” is a song about being down and out and not knowing if you’re going to ever get out of it. You want to fall back on the notion that the universe has a plan for you, but deep down you know it doesn’t.

When I first heard this song, I was twenty-two or twenty-three years old. I was recovering from a broken heart, carrying the debt of a university education, and working a minimum wage warehouse job to try to pay it off. It wasn’t a great time, but it sure made the song resonate. I’m now solvent, with a good job and a good woman, but this song can always bring me back to what it feels like to not know your way, or even if there is a way, so I give it credit for that.

The problem with “Girlfriend” as an album is that it can take all this cryin’ and moanin’ a bit too far, and come out pathetic. “Divine Intervention” holds up alright, but weaker tracks really come off as the gripes of a pale and wan poet who needs to get more sun.

 “Thought I Knew You” and “You Don’t Love Me” are every bit as maudlin and passive aggressive as their titles would suggest. “You Don’t Love Me” is particularly bad, with lines like:

“Cause you don’t love me
You don’t love me
You can’t see how much I matter in this world
Even though I loved you
You can’t believe that
If you find something
You think might make you happy
Then I guess it’s okay, I think it’s okay.”

Jeesh. At least be honestly angry about the situation, Matthew. Take some advice from Sir John Suckling, “if looking well can’t move her/ looking ill prevail?” (hint: the answer is ‘no’).

Despite this tendency to push the self-pity button a bit too hard, Sweet’s songwriting has many moments when it rises above. “Nothing Lasts” is equally sad but the song is of sufficient quality that you enjoy a bit of a wallow.

Winona” and “Evangeline” are two pretty little romantic numbers as well. “Winona” (reportedly named for 1991 it-girl Winona Ryder), is a little sad, but it feels more emotionally honest than it does manipulative. The tune has an innovative use of the pedal steel guitar while remaining at its core, a rock song.

Evangeline” is a variation on the “Only the Good Die Young” theme of self-righteous moralistic girls that could really do with a fun night out. “Evangeline” also captures the early guitar groove of “Divine Intervention” and lifts up the middle section of the record at just the right time.

The album is too long, with fifteen songs (at least one too many) and many of the songs linger for a few bars longer than they need to. If you pick and choose your spots there are quite a few good tracks worth your time, however.

I also found myself thinking that “Girlfriend” is a precursor to the indie music (back then, we called it alternative). It takes pretty basic musical concepts and reinterprets them in a modern (for its time) way – something indie does now. In some respects it is superior to indie music, because despite it being a bit moan-y, at least it doesn’t try to detach itself from its own emotional core.

I don’t put this record on very often (partly because Sheila doesn’t like it) but I still enjoyed this visit, and more than a few of the songs that came with it.

Best tracks: Divine Intervention, Winona, Evangeline, Holy War, Nothing Lasts

No comments: