Saturday, December 21, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 578: The Irish Descendants

I am on holiday!  Yeehaw!  After a long and hard year, I’m looking forward to twelve days off at a time I am sharply feeling the need for down time.

On our last day in the office, I brought my guitar to work and did my first ever playing with other guitar players (that aren’t my teacher).  At first I found it a bit intimidating (they were both much better) and a little awkward, but both guys were very gracious, and helped me not only participate, but also show off those things I did best.  So many thanks to both Chris and Brennan, for their patience and kindness.  I had a great time, and can’t wait to do it again.

Disc 578 is…. Rollin’ Home
Artist: The Irish Descendants

Year of Release: 1998

What’s up with the Cover? Believe it or not, there is a ship on the high seas in this picture, but you can’t see it past the enormous Irish Descendants logo plastered on top. On previous reviews for this band I’ve admired their use of the logo, but I think they overdid it a wee bit on this occasion.

How I Came To Know It:  I had been a fan of these guys since I’d discovered them five years earlier, and this was just me buying their latest release.

How It Stacks Up:  I have five Irish Descendants albums, and this one is third or fourth best depending on my mood.  It really is a dead heat between “Rollin’ Home” and “Livin’ On the Edge” (reviewed back at Disc 307) but going over them both I’ll give the latter album the slight…er…edge based on the instrumental work.

Rating:  3 stars

If you need a spring in your step on a cold winter’s day, look no further than a bit of Newfoundland folk music like you’ll find on “Rollin’ Home.” “Rollin’ Home” gave me just such a spring, and I think I was even caught by a stranger dancing a little jig on a street corner where I thought I was alone.  I regret nothing.

Well, I do actually regret not getting to review this record a bit earlier, because for all the joy it gives me, it is also uneven in places – a noticeable challenge when the Odyssey rules forbid skipping songs.

The album starts off strong, with “The Dublin Reel” and “Rollin’ Home” delivering up tempo songs on upbeat topics.  The fiddle and mandolin playing is sprightly, and while the boys aren’t going to break any new ground on how folk songs are constructed, that isn’t what folk music is for anyway.

A fun feature of an Irish Descendants album is the humour, and previous records had songs about having all your money stolen during a drunken tryst (“Peter Street”), and a man being pursued by the village harridan (“Uncle Dan”).

On “Rollin’ Home,” the songs delivering the humour are “Murphy Broke the Pledge” (about a town drunk on a rampage) and “Never Been There Before” (about the joys of casual sex) so they don’t lack for good material.  Unfortunately, the songs are relatively weak musically compared to the earlier efforts.  Given both the songs are traditional I can’t entirely blame the Irish Descendants, who play them well enough, but they did choose to include them, so that’s on them.

The best songs on “Rollin’ Home” are the mournful love songs, a trio of tracks each named after a different woman, “Colleen Malone,” “Nancy Miles” and “Madeline” (who, like Madonna, provided no last name. “Colleen Malone” is about a woman who dies waiting for her man to return from his voyage, and “Nancy Miles” is a portrait of a maid once beautiful and cheerful, but faded from age and  circumstance.  The saddest sounding of them all, “Madeline” is actually the most uplifting; a simple love song from a man who has won a woman’s heart.  Despite all the minor chords, this song is actually positive, and the challenging vocal is brilliantly delivered by lead singer Con O’Brien.

Instrumental reels are common fair on a Celtic folk album, and “Rollin’ Home” has two. While ably played I found neither particularly engaging, which ultimately is what puts it slightly behind the album that preceded it (1996’s “Livin’ On the Edge”).  Speaking of “Livin’ on the Edge” what is up with these guys insistence on not spelling out the ‘g’ in the verbs?  I don’t care how you say it, boys, but you could at least spell it properly.  But I digress…

Back to the album, and a quick note on the production, which is excellent, and maybe the best of any of their records excepting maybe “Gypsies & Lovers” (reviewed back at Disc 517).  So a shout out to producer Sandy Morris – producers are an important part of making a good record, and Morris does a fine job in getting a full and crisp sound out these songs.

Although “Rollin’ Home” isn’t a perfect record, there is much to recommend it, and even though I hadn’t put it on in a while, this listen reminded me why I used to play it so often.  Thanks, CD Odyssey!


Best tracks:   The Dublin Reel, Rollin’ Home, Let Her Go Down, Colleen Malone, Nancy Miles, Madeline

No comments: