Saturday, December 14, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 576: Jimmy Rankin

I have finished my Christmas shopping and I’m feeling very much in the spirit of the season.  It was fun engaging with people at stores and in check-out lines and I’m feeling relaxed and happy to be a part of the human race.  Sure we’ve got our faults, but we’re not so bad overall.  Try to remember that as you maneuver through crowded streets and malls over the next ten days.

Disc 576 is…. Song Dog
Artist: Jimmy Rankin

Year of Release: 2001

What’s up with the Cover? Jimmy plays guitar.  Someone should tell him that the fret hand actually needs to be on the guitar to make the chord work.

How I Came To Know It:  I had been a fan of the Rankin Family for some time when I saw Jimmy Rankin’s video for the song, “Followed Her Around” on CMT.  I liked it, and given my previous experience with the Rankins decided to give him a chance.

How It Stacks Up:  I have three of Jimmy Rankin’s solo albums.  Originally, I had ranked “Handmade” as the best.  “Handmade” does have my favourite Jimmy Rankin song, “Colorado” but having listened to “Song Dog” again, I have to say overall it is the better record, so I’m putting it first and bumping “Handmade” down to second.

Since this completes this artist in my collection, tradition dictates a quick listing, in order of preference:

  1. Song Dog: 4 stars (reviewed right here).
  2. Handmade: 4 stars (reviewed at Disc 130).
  3. Edge of Day: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 509).
Rating:  4 stars

If you ever listen to the Rankin Family albums and wish that there was less sing-song Celtic traditionalism, and more of Jimmy Rankin’s contemporary folk compositions, then “Song Dog” will definitely appeal to you.

Sister Cookie Rankin’s pretty voice is still present on a number of tracks, but only as background vocals, filling out the songs with touches of colour to the upper range of the melody.  This is definitely Jimmy Rankin’s baby, and it his vocal, pure and purposeful, which carries the album.

When I first heard this record, it caused me to go back into the Rankin Family catalogue and listen to the songs that he is featured on.  Each of those old albums has a Jimmy Rankin original like “Your Boat’s Lost at Sea,” “The Ballad of Malcolm Murray” or “Let it Go,” and when I look back at my reviews of those albums, they are consistently some of my favourite songs on those records. “Song Dog” is basically an entire album of this type of song, which combine the sights and sounds of Atlantic Canada with an introspective style that borders on confessional.

The album is dedicated to John Morris Rankin, who had died tragically in a car accident the year before, and many of the songs feel like Jimmy’s attempt to come to terms with the loss. On “Wasted” this is particularly acute, a gorgeous song about drowning your sorrows with booze and bad habits.  I don’t know if this song is about John Morris, but it is hard not to think about him when Jimmy sings:

“I’d trade all of the fine life
Everything I’ve tasted
Just to have you near, just to have you near
Instead I’m wasted.”

Other songs cover lost love, and while living up to the exceptional “Colorado” on “Handmade” is a tall order, “Midnight Angel” and “Stoned Blue” come damn close.

Jimmy brings in the talents of fellow Cape Bretoner Gordie Sampson’s musical talents on a number of tracks to good effect.  Sampson’s amazing work on the bouzouki on the instrumental “We’ll Carry on (Prelude)” is an absolute joy to listen to, and sets the emotional tone for the entire record.  Sampson is worth checking out as a solo artist as well, and I even reviewed his album “Sunburn” back at Disc 173.  Check him out.

Drunk and Crucified” and “Tripper” are the social conscience of the album, the former a snapshot of a homeless man in the cold, and the latter a character study that reminds us that even hardened criminals were once just kids like us, with dreams of their own that sadly never came true.

The guitar and piano work on this album are amazing, and Rankin lets his finger picking bring out the melody and his strumming patterns to add resonance, blending them artfully together.  Electric guitar is used for flavour in places, but like sister Cookie’s background vocals care is taken to ensure it doesn’t overwhelm the album’s rootsy sound.

Lyrically, the record has many high points, although they work best with Jimmy’s exceptional phrasing and delivery.  Internal rhyme helps as well.  It may be an old trick, but that’s because it works so well.

The exception would be “Lighthouse Heart” which is schmaltzy and forced.  “I wanna be your lighthouse keeper/I wanna be your beacon in the dark” is a clumsily delivered metaphor and the song pushes the point home a bit too hard.  The tune is pretty though, as Jimmy has a great ear on where a song should go for maximum emotional impact, all the while staying in fairly conventional three and four chord progressions.

I came to this record liking the Rankin Family already, but even if you don’t, this record is a different beast and you shouldn’t write it off.  “Song Dog” is a deeply honest record from an artist who clearly had plenty to say as a solo act that he could only partly accomplish as part of the Rankin Family band.  It is an explosion of his solo talent, and while it isn’t perfect, it deserves to be considered a classic in the Canadian folk genre for years to come. 


Best tracks:   Followed Her Around, Midnight Angel, Drunk & Crucified, Wasted, We’ll Carry On (Prelude), This is the Hour, We’ll Carry On, Stoned Blue

No comments: