Wednesday, February 27, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 490: The Decemberists


Wednesdays are usually hurried affairs, where I race from work to the gym to guitar lessons and back home.  Today guitar lessons were cancelled, so instead I practiced at home for a while and will now turn my attention to some folks that already know how to play guitar, and write good music while doing it.

Disc 490 is… The King is Dead
Artist: The Decemberists

Year of Release:  2011

What’s up with the Cover?  A lovely photo looking up at some conifers.  This cover appeals to me.  I’ve always found the woods a soothing place to go, and these trees remind me of places near where I grew up.

How I Came To Know It:  My friends Cat and Ross introduced me to the Decemberists through a song on their 2006 album, “The Crane Wife” (reviewed back at Disc 154) and I’ve been a fan ever since.  “The King is Dead” was just me buying their recent release when it came out.

How It Stacks Up:  I have five Decemberists albums (I only had two when I last reviewed them, so the collection is growing).  “The King is Dead” is my clear favourite of all of them.  I’m only missing one of their full length studio albums now, but I have a hard time believing it will surpass “The King is Dead” when I do get it.

Rating:  5 stars

Tragically, for many bands their first album is their best album.  In the case of the Decemberists, it is the reverse.  Their most recent release, 2011’s “The King is Dead” is the pinnacle of what they’ve done so far and leaves me with high hopes on what will come next.

This record is the perfect mix of reimagined sixties Brit-pop and modern American folk music, which is the best combination modern indie music manages.  It errs heavily on the side of folk, which is the right side of this particular amalgam to err on.

Listening to this album I was happily reminded of a street corner conversation I recently had with my friend Lawrence, about how all the ‘kids these days’ thought they’d reinvented music, but all they’ve actually done is rediscovered folk music.  Welcome back, music world – me and a few other folks have been keeping the seat warm for you.

Colin Meloy writes a beautiful song, and the tastefully restrained ten tracks on “The King is Dead” is his best work, taking very simple and beautiful constructions and letting them stand on their own, without a lot of excess noise or production wizardry that would only detract from the melodies.

I also love Meloy’s voice on this record.  He has a vibrant and sprightly tone on all his records, but on “the King is Dead” it is perfectly suited to these songs, which are both triumphant and tragic.  These are songs to be sung out like anthems, celebrating the world and refusing to let its darker parts drag you down.

Of course anthems are a lot more than empty slogans; to work they have to have something to say.  The lyrics on this record consistently move me, despite my ongoing insistence to overplay the living hell out of every song.

The album begins with “Don’t Carry It All,” which is a song with a reminder that we are on this planet together, and need to hold one another up as a community.  I’ve always felt that for all our cynicism, mankind’s greatest hope is that our next evolutionary jump will be the one to true empathy.  When I listen to “Don’t Carry It All” I feel the chasm of that jump is that much smaller.  Also, it has some of my favourite lyrics in any folk song, and I’ve heard a few:

“A monument to build beneath the arbors
Upon a plinth that towers t’wards the trees
Let every vessel pitching hard to starboard
Lay its head on summer’s freckled knees.”

Every time I hear this, I see those ships in my mind’s eye leaning hard into the wind, a crew of sailors all leaning hard off the other side of the ship keeping her course true.  Those sailors are us, my friends! Moreover, like the way Meloy ends the song with a healthy dose of responsibility among the roses:

“So raise a glass to turnings of the season
And watch it arc towards the sun
And you must bear your neighbour’s burden within reason
And your labours will be borne when all is done.”

I like that within the teamwork, there is an understanding that we don’t have to carry it all, but we do have to carry our part, and know the rest will work itself out.

There are two hymns on the album, “January Hymn” and “June Hymn.” They’re not really hymns in that they’re not religious in any way unless you count the type of experience they give me when I listen to them.  

January Hymn” is a song of parting; mournful and sere, just like January can be.  The chorus captures the single moment the song revolves around.

“What were the words I meant to say before you left?
When I could see your breath lead
Where you were going to.”

There is a beautiful disconnect expressed here, as Meloy cleverly writes the line to intimate that the person the narrator wishes to speak his heart to has already turned away – physically and otherwise.  A great song doesn’t beat you over the head with it; it establishes the emotion and lets the words carry you through it.

June Hymn” is, as you’d expect, the opposite of its wintry cousin.  Scenes of spring abound, turning to the full bloom of summer and the possibilities of the future.  Images of ‘Garland all the lawn’, ‘A barony of ivy in the trees’ mingle with the human activity of ‘pegging clothing on the line’ but the best line is the sound of birds blending their songs in the background:

“Here’s a hymn to welcome in the day
Heralding a summer’s early sway
And all the bulbs coming in
To begin
The thrushes bleating with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again.”

Damn that’s good stuff, and the music just makes it better.  It made me download some chords and tabs just in the hopes I can one day play it on guitar, and maybe add my own bleating to the lyrics.

Even the songs that appear to be a bit derivative, like “Rox in the Box” which lifts the traditional melody straight from the folk classic “Raggle Taggle Gypsy” does so as an homage, building on that tradition rather than stealing from it.  When I finally recognized why I knew the riff so well it wasn’t a betrayal, it was a revelation.

On a completely different note, I like that Meloy, with his heavy build, bad fashion and awkward haircut, is able to have a good career and get noticed for his craft.  Video temporarily killed the radio star, but with video banished to the fractured audience of Youtube, the radio star is making a comeback online.  Hooray for those who have the music, ugly or otherwise.

“The King is Dead” is only forty minutes long soaken-wet, and when it ends it leaves you wanting more.  In fact, it left me that way so many times I kept listening to it instead of writing the review and moving on.  Sorry for the delay on the CD Odyssey as a result, but it couldn’t be helped.  This record inspires me, and moreover it reminds me that I can still be inspired by music being written today as much as music from forty years ago.  For all the young people being inspired for the first time this way, I can only hope that they go on to do great things, musically or otherwise.  I’ll raise a glass to the turning of that season.

Best tracks:  All tracks, but my favourites include Don’t Carry it All, Rise to Me, Rox in the Box, January Hymn, June Hymn and This is Why We Fight

No comments: