Sunday, February 3, 2013

CD Odyssey Disc 483: Budgie


Good morning and welcome to the greatest day in the sports world calendar – Super Bowl Sunday!  Once again my beloved Dolphins will not be playing in the Super Bowl, but it is still a great experience to gather ‘round the big screen with fellow football enthusiasts and watch the big game.

But first, I need to get this review up – the fourth of five albums I have by these guys to be reviewed.

Disc 483 is… Bandolier
Artist: Budgie

Year of Release: 1975

What’s up with the Cover?  Those who’ve read my earlier Budgie reviews will already know Budgie likes to take kick-ass art and make it better by replacing heads (or even head-like objects in the case of “Squawk”) with the heads of budgies.  Of the many kick-ass covers, “Bandolier” is the best, with bandito budgie horsemen hoofing it about on some alien planet.  Yeehaw – viva la songbird revolucion!

How I Came To Know It:  My buddy Spence introduced me to Budgie, and “Bandolier” was just me drilling through their collection.  It is the latest I have in their collection, since I took pity on a fellow collector and let him snatch “If I Were Brittania I’d Waive the Rules” out from under me at the local record shop.  I hope he’s enjoying it.

How It Stacks Up:  I have five Budgie albums and I like them all.  I’ll put “Bandolier” fifth, but that doesn’t make it bad.

Rating:  3 stars

Long, riff-packed rock and roll is the Budgie way, and it is a good way to be. “Bandolier” is a bit lighter than Budgie’s previous four studio albums, but what it lacks in overall punch it makes up for with some interesting variety.

The opening track, “Breaking All The House Rules” is not an example of this variety, as it follows all of Budgie’s house rules:  heavy riffs that switch up mid-song, ridiculously long song titles and extended playing time (in this case 7:28) are all here.  This is a good example of why it is OK to stick with what you know, and sets a great tone for the record.

This is followed up with “Slipaway” another Budgie staple; sappy power-folk (if such a thing exists).  Budgie was an early convert to doing heavy music mixed with ballads.  These can be good, but “Slipaway” slipped away one too many steps into drippy reverie, and lost me along the way.

Fortunately, the record recovers itself with the band stretching its artistic limits with “Who Do You Want For Your Love?” a song that mixes that sappy folksy rock, with a guitar riff that would be right at home in a James Brown song it is so funky.  Later when the song begins to rock out, that same guitar riff gets thick and fuzzy, but it is still recognizably and gloriously funky.  In fact, “Who Do You Want For Your Love?” is so refreshing it almost bumped “Bandolier” into four star territory all on its own.

Unfortunately, not every track has the same level of excellence.  In addition to the aforementioned “Slipaway” there is also “Napoleon Bona-Part One and Part Two” which is really just a single song.  In addition to being one of the stupidest song titles in my music collection, the song is a bit all over the place in a bad way.  Usually Budgie will mix in two or three riffs and change-ups that connect well with each other, but in “Napoleon, etc.” they just try to cram too much into a single song.  The band is so tight and talented that it is still a passable track, but I think this one should have been developed into two or three separate songs.

This is another of the Budgie re-masters and commits the same sin as the other ones in including bonus tracks of alternate version of songs that are already on the basic album.  “Bandolier” is not quite as bad as the other records for this.  There are three annoying repeats, all of which are live performances that don’t measure up to the studio original, but this time the band also includes a fourth track that is new.  This is “Honey,” a B-side from the 45 singles release of “I Ain’t No Mountain.”  “Honey” is not a very interesting song, but it is nice to get new content for a change.

Lyrics were never Budgie’s strong suit, and “Bandolier” is also unremarkable on this front.  Most of the songs are just about rockin’ out or some form of romantic expression (either a love ballad or R&B inspired cheatin’ songs).   That suits me well, though.  Artists should be taken in their own context.  You don’t expect ACDC to write poetry like Dylan or Cohen and you shouldn’t expect it from Budgie either; these are bands that are about the music first.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed “Bandolier” this time around.  Tony Bourge’s guitar is as good as it has ever been, and he expertly plays rock riffs, bluesy chord progressions and whimsical folk plucking with equal excellence.  Burke Shelley’s Geddy Lee-like vocal stylings are an acquired taste, but as a Rush fan I acquired it a long time ago.

If anything, at six songs the album is a bit too short, even for a seventies offering limited by vinyl.  When two of the songs aren’t strong, you’ve only got four others to hang your hat on.  I listened to this album for an extra day on my walks because I was enjoying it so much, but maybe I was also hoping for a bit more content.

If you are new to Budgie this isn’t where to start, but if you like what you hear on other albums, by all means get “Bandolier” as well before you end your journey.

Best tracks:  Breaking All the House Rules, Who Do You Want For Your Love?, I Ain’t No Mountain

No comments: