Thursday, November 15, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 458: Gordon Lightfoot


Jeff Triplette is the worst NFL referee in the league by a large margin.  He is a flag happy moron that can’t seem to accept the fact that football games should, in fact, be decided by football players.

In the interests of full disclosure, I did just watch him officiate over a 19-14 loss of my beloved Dolphins to the Bills, so I’m a little raw.  Still, that pass interference call on Hartline with a minute to go was bush league, and only the tip of the iceberg on the calls I witnessed tonight.  Jeff Triplette, you suck.

Fortunately this next album does not suck.

Disc 458 is… Old Dan’s Records
 Artist: Gordon Lightfoot

Year of Release: 1972

What’s up with the Cover?  The Big Head Cover – a Gordon Lightfoot favourite.  As his collection of Big Head Covers go this one is up there with the best of ‘em.  Maybe only Gord’s Gold eclipses it in terms of beard and craggy-faced goodness.  He’s even chewing on a stick so you know he is relaxed and easy, just like the record.

How I Came To Know It:  I’ve known Gord through the ubiquitous ‘best of’ album “Gord’s Gold” since I was a kid, but didn’t get into his individual albums until later.  I bought this one about two or three years ago when I found it remastered by music loving label, Rhino.

How It Stacks Up:  I have eleven studio albums by Gordon Lightfoot.  “Old Dan’s Records” is near the top, but I’ve already awarded Gord’s gold to “Don Quixote” back at Disc 110.  I’ll award “Old Dan’s Record’s” ‘Gord’s Silver’, or second best.

Rating:  4 stars

Having lived so many formative years with only a Gordon Lightfoot best of package, I tend to approach understanding his studio albums first from the songs I recognize and then branch out.  That is what made “Old Dan’s Records” so surprising when I first heard it; some of the best tracks were the ones I’d never heard.

This starts with the first track and one of my favourite Gordon Lightfoot songs, “Farewell to Annabel” with its urgent folk guitar strumming and its slow build into a beautiful banjo melody.  Over it all is Gord’s signature voice.  My last review was a Pearl Jam album, and I couldn’t help but compare Gord’s voice with Eddie Vedder.  Vedder sings with that slight vibrato in the back of his throat which is instantly recognizeable and perfectly suited to his style of alt-rock.  Lightfoot is more nasal but with the same slight quaver, and again – perfectly suited to his folksy style.  “Farewell to Annabel” pairs his tremulous voice with lyrics about 1972 style relationships, full of free love and that lack of judgment on the surface that belies some seriously hurt feelings just below:

“How many nights did you cry yourself to sleep,
Why did you hide what you knew would not stay hidden,
How could you put yourself through like you did?
I’m not the kind that would hold you that way.”

Not the kind, but he’d like to be.  Even relaxed hippies like Gord have feelings, and “Farewell to Annabel” shows how they struggle with their own emotional needs.

There are many other great deep tracks as well that have somehow not survived to Gord’s anthology stage.  “Mother of a Miner’s Child” is a love story that, unlike “Farewell to Annabel,” endures.  It is about a miner and the wife he comes home to every night.  This is not Gord’s life as a folk singer, but he captures the blue-collar honour rightfully celebrated by the song’s narrator, who is proud of his family even as he hopes for a better life for his son.  Throughout is the soft rolling of Lightfoot’s guitar, keeping time so smoothly you can’t tell where one line ends and another begins.

And of course, the Canadian in me revels in “Hi’way Songs” which is a song about missing Canada when on tour.  Full of “blue Canadian skies” and the “shade of a maple tree” it would be easy to fumble this song into empty jingoism.  Instead, Gord keeps the song light and easy, and yet still celebratory of his home country.  This is a song that makes you proud to be a Canadian, but in that understated way we prefer to celebrate.

But let’s not forget the album’s ‘hits’ (such as they are), and by ‘hits’ I mean “appear on Gord’s Gold.”  The title track, “Old Dan’s Records” celebrates the music of the generation that preceded Lightfoot’s, as he reminisces about playing the “foxtrot, jitterbug and jive” on 78s.

We often poke gentle fun at “Old Dan’s Records.”  Sheila refers to the song as “old dance records” which always cracks me up.  Having grown up furtively listening (sometimes without permission) to my older brother’s records, I often imagine that the character of Old Dan used to yell at Gord and the other kids to “get the hell of out my records!” This always makes me laugh inappropriately when Gord sings “If Old Dan could see us now, I know he’d shout out loud.”

I suspect the truth, however, is that “Old Dan’s Records” is an homage to someone who helped Gord’s early appreciation music, perhaps a love letter to someone who has gone before.  Whatever the truth, it is a hell of a fine folk song, so when I poke fun, I do it with a sincere affection.

The other anthologized song, “It’s Worth Believin’” is one of my favourite Lightfoot songs, a song about an easy love between two people disrupted by suspicion and mystery.  The song opens:

“There’s a warm wind tonight and the moon turns the tide
When the stars take their ride she’ll be leavin’
Where she goes, I don’t know, she won’t tell me what it is
That makes her act like this.
But I got a funny feelin’ that it’s me
It’s worth believin’”

This is actually a song about suspicion and emotional confusion but it is so gentle in its presentation that it actually feels relaxing when you hear it, as the couple calls in the cat and muses about walks on the beach, even as one of them suspects trouble in paradise.

So many standout songs had me close to giving this album five stars, but there are a few ‘kitchen standards’ like “Lazy Morning” about home life, drinking coffee, and relaxing that don’t hold up to the same standard.  Folk songs are great when they sing about everyday experiences of the working man, but only if they have some emotional or historical connection to something greater.  It is the difference between looking at a bowl of fruit and seeing the same bowl painted as a still life.  The art of a still life is that the fruit bowl has been imbued with a deeper resonance.  Sometimes Gord misses on this resonance – not by much mind you – but a slight miss nonetheless.

Overall, though, this record is a true win, and definitely the second one you should buy by Gordon Lightfoot, if you already happen to won “Don Quixote.”  You can skip “Gord’s Gold” – it’ll just slow you down getting to the deep cuts and besides, you probably already own it.

Best tracks:  Farewell to Annabel, Old Dan’s Records, It’s Worth Believin’, Mother of a Miner’s Child, Hi’Way Songs

No comments: