Saturday, November 10, 2012

CD Odyssey Disc 456: Suzanne Vega


The weekend has arrived!  It is a long one as well, and with very little on my plate I’m looking forward to relaxing with my lovely wife, playing some board games and getting some writing done on my new book.  You know, important stuff.

Disc 456 is… 99.9 F
Artist: Suzanne Vega

Year of Release: 1992

What’s up with the Cover?  A close up of Suzanne Vega looking like some sort of primal fire goddess.  Of course she just had to include a band aid on one finger to remind all of us that she’s really just a vulnerable girl.  Also, is it just me, or does she not look like she's smoking an invisible cigarette?

How I Came To Know It:  I knew about Vega from the song “Luka” that received so much overplay on the radio, but that song is from a couple records earlier.  “99.9 F” came to my attention through my old roommate Greg. I don’t know where he heard about it, but it was another one of those albums that got a lot of play in our apartment since we both enjoyed it.

How It Stacks Up:  I only have this one Suzanne Vega album, so it doesn’t really stack up.  Sheila used to have the “Luka” album (1987’s “Solitude Standing”) on tape, but I’ve only heard it a couple of times.

Rating:  3 stars

Folk melded with early nineties electronica.  If that idea intrigues you, then Suzanne Vega’s “99.9 F” could be for you.  It is certainly for me.

I generally don’t like electronica or ‘techno’ as the kids were calling it ten years ago (I have no idea what kids are calling it now).  I find it repetitive to the point of dull and lacking any emotional content that is a big part of my music listening experience.  However, there was a brief window in the early to mid-nineties where electronica and industrial music was still simple and honest enough that it interested me.

I’ve liked folk music for a very long time, and Vega does a great job of urbanizing the genre and making it sound current, up tempo and – dare I say it? – even danceable.  In fact on my walks to work it took a lot of effort to not do a little back-forward heel-toe action while waiting at lights.  I resisted the urge and frankly, I’m a little disappointed in myself.  When the world affords you a chance to dance, you should dance.

Back to the record, which is great and refreshingly unlike anything else I was hearing in 1992.  After her more straightforward earlier albums, this was a brave new direction for Vega and it really pays off.  The beats are crisp and filled with energy, and reminded me a little bit of the smooth flows of  contemporary rap acts like EPMD, but cleaned up for the non hip-hop audience.

One of the songs, “Fat Man & Dancing Girl” had a particularly catchy bass beat that sounded familiar, and not just because I’ve listened to this album a hundred times.  Earlier in the week a coworker had sent me the video for Fat Boy Slim’s 2001 song “Weapon of Choice” (you will remember it for Christopher Walken’s funky dance moves).  Sure enough when I called it up alongside “Fat Man & Dancing Girl” it was the self-same bass line, with one note cut off the end.  Could there be a Fat Boy/Fat Man connection here?

I needed to do a fat/fact check, but the wiki page for “Weapon of Choice” says the sample is from a 1967 Chamber Brothers song called “All Strung Out Over You” and sure enough, both it and the Suzanne Vega song sound like the Chamber Brothers song.  This is fine – imitation being the highest form of flattery, whether conscious or not.  In any event, here are the three songs – the first two are definitely related – you be the judge whether the third fits as well:


Whatever the case, "All Strung Out Over You" has me wanting to get me some Chamber Brothers.  That is some groovy stuff.  But I digress…

Back to “99.9 F,” which is a good album that is tastefully limited to 12 songs and, at just 37 minutes, is short enough to leave you wanting more.  The songs range from upbeat techno-folk, to more somber songs that use fairly electronic sounding production but are much more clearly folk music.

Lyrically, I found most of the songs established a general mood more than leaving me with a strong sense of a story being told (decidedly un-folk, that).  I did enjoy Vega’s recollection of how your dolls seem to have some kind of life to them when you’re young on “As a Child” and how later on we grow up and feel like sometimes we are dolls in our own lives, in our effort to fulfill the roles we think are expected of us.

Her most touching song is “Bad Wisdom” a sad song about unwanted teen pregnancy and the stigma attached to it that had me thinking of fellow depressed diva Liz Phair.  The song opens:

“Mother the doctor knows something is wrong
Cause my body has strange information
He’s looked in my eyes and knows I’m not a child
But he doesn’t dare ask the right question.

“Mother my friends are no longer my friends
And the games we once played have no meaning.
I’ve gone serious and shy and they can’t figure why
So they’ve left me to my own daydreaming.”

The girl ends up shunned by her family as well, selling her body on the street, and the whole thing resonates in a minor key that makes you feel (rightly) uncomfortable about what happens to some people whose only crime is to be young, foolish and a little unlucky.

Overall the album is a pleasant listen, and I like the way Vega has melded two very seemingly different styles, and showcased how well they work together.  It doesn’t blow me away, but I’m never disappointed when I put it on, even after all these years.  It makes me want to buy more of her work, in fact.

Best tracks:  Blood Makes Noise, 99.9 F, Fat Man & Dancing Girl, As A Child, Bad Wisdom, When Heroes Go Down

No comments: