Saturday, March 26, 2011

CD Odyssey Disc 256: The Clash

I spent today racing all over the place, and as a result this next disc got many consecutive listens - which in this case was a good thing.

Disc 256 is...The Clash (Self-Titled)
Artist: The Clash

Year of Release: 1977

What’s Up With The Cover?: A very young looking band photo, as they each try their best to strike a dangerous pose, because punk is dangerous, man.

How I Came To Know It: I was introduced to The Clash more generally by my lovely wife Sheila, but this particular album was introduced to me by my buddy Nick, who not only played it for me a few times over the years, but bought it for me for my birthday. Thanks, Nick!

How It Stacks Up: We have all five Clash albums, and this one is pretty damned solid. I'm going to put it just behind "London Calling" and so - 2nd.

Rating: 4 stars, but almost 5.

Certain bands are just ahead of their time, and the Clash is one of those bands. Nowhere is this more evident than on their debut album.

This record came out in 1976/77, and introduced an unprepared world to a new aspect of rock and roll - punk. The sound of The Clash's debut is as fresh today as it was thirty-five years ago.

Earlier today I was listening to it in the car with Sheila (not to worry - I had already listened to it alone, so no rules broken). Every second song, I'd ask her, 'was this one a hit?' and each time she'd say no. It is amazing how many great songs on this record are famous only because people know this record - not because some soulless record exec released it on AM radio.

My version is the US 1979 release, which has a few different tracks - notably my version includes "I Fought The Law" and "Clash City Rockers", two awesome songs released as EPs or singles in England, that I'm glad to have. This whole US/UK version thing seems fairly common in the 1970s. I wonder who determines just what each audience is going to like? Probably, the US version is just an effort to add in a few more hits from other sources, to make the record more palatable to an audience that would be less familiar with the band.

Back to the record which is raw punk, that rarely takes its foot off the accelerator. Songs like "White Riot", "London's Burning" and "Career Opportunities" paint an angry picture of urban England, where police clash with punks, and angry citizens raise active insurrection against the establishment.

In other songs, the Clash show their reggae side to good effect, particularly "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" and the awesome "Police and Thieves". "Police and Thieves" puts a new twist on the civil disobedience theme, but this time from the viewpoint of the terrified citizens trying to avoid being caught in the crossfire. Most songs on this album are typical of punk in their brevity. "Police and Thieves" is a glorious six minutes of reggae beat, and I loved every moment of it.

Because they were so innovative in the punk genre, the Clash often get pigeon-holed as only a punk band, but this record shows that from the very beginning, they were a band with a lot of range. Reggae, hard rock, and even catchy pop melodies all mix in with the new punk sound.

They are also often compared with the shouty and pointless Sex Pistols as the founders of punk rock, but beyond the requisite anger, the Pistols aren't even in the same league. The Clash are first and foremost musicians, the Pistols are just punks - frankly I can't stand most of what they do.

As an example, we need look no further than how their songs are remade. The Pistols' "Anarchy in the UK" is more famous for its angry message, than its skillful delivery. Megadeth's version updates the song so well, it is the only one I ever want to hear any more, even though it's the only remake of the track I know.

Comparatively, "I Fought The Law" is one of the most remade songs going - originally done in 1959 by the Crickets. Since then a number of great acts have taken the song on and made it their own, including stellar versions by Johnny Cash and the Dead Kennedys. But who's do we remember the most? The Clash's version from this record, of course - in fact I thought it was a Clash song until I looked it up online - that is how thoroughly they own the song.

The Clash's debut album will always lie in the shadow of "London Calling" and that is a shame. If you were to only own two Clash albums, this should be one of them. Sadly, most people end up going the way of "Combat Rock", which is OK, but quite simply not at the same level.

Best tracks: So many, but let's go Clash City Rockers, I'm So Bored with USA, White Riot, London's Burning, I Fought The Law, Janie Jones, Career Opportunities, Police and Thieves.

1 comment:

Joel C said...

I purchased this album tonight and am listening to it as I write. I completely agree that the Clash were ahead of their time...I wish that I had sophisticated enough taste as a young teen to appreciate them at the time...alas, I did not. At least I'm coming around now. It's funny how an album released over 30 years ago still sounds fresh!