Friday, December 31, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 222: Eurythmics

With the holidays upon us I've had very little need to drive for any length of time, and I haven't done much painting either. Since these are the only two activities permitted for CD Odyssey listening (and those, only when alone), it took a while to get through this album.

That said - here it is. The final review of 2010.

Disc 222 is...Savage
Artist: The Eurythmics

Year of Release: 1987

What’s Up With The Cover?: Yet more proof that Annie Lennox is the sexiest woman ever to wear a wig.

How I Came To Know It: I knew the Eurythmics from radio play and high school dances, but as I mentioned in my review for "Revenge" back at Disc 118, I heard the full album over at my buddy Curt's place back when it came out. Sheila also has this record on vinyl, where we recently listened to it in that format as well, which only made it better.

How It Stacks Up: I have all five of the Eurythmics albums, and I like all of them. "Savage" is one of my favourites. I'd say it is probably 2nd, just edging out "We Too Are One" for the silver.

Rating: 4 stars.

The Eurythmics are a band that I love from a genre - electronic pop - that I usually detest. But good music is good music, regardless of genre. In fact, even though this album has all that synthetic eighties sounding production, I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, the production is one of the strengths of "Savage", drum machines and all.

This is noticeable from the first track, "Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)" which starts out with just a basic drum machine beat. Then, Annie Lennox's voice is introduced just chanting "listen to, listen to" over and over again in that sort of robotic-siren voice we know from "Sweet Dreams". Then another line fragment, "I love to", is overlayed just in front, this time utilizing her full rich tones we know from something like "You Have Placed a Chill on My Heart". Then a quick almost saucy singing of the word "Beethoven" completes the line, tripping in a half-beat early. By the time all the elements come together into the one line chorus, "I love to listen to Beethoven", the song is alreadly half over. It may take its time getting there, but it knows where it is going from the very beginning.

The hits on this record "You Have Placed a Chill On My Heart" and "I Need A Man" are two of my favourite Eurythmics songs, and demonstrate the band's range at this stage of their career. The former is a sorrowful bluesy breakup song, the latter is a rock-driven raunchy sex track. Both are delivered with the same care of song construction first heard in "Beethoven".

This is a record that makes me want to dance, but that I also enjoy it when I'm mellowing out and just lounging (thank you, Guru). Between them, the twelve tracks have a good range of sound, and even within individual songs there are changeups that keep your senses interested. It is an album that is easy on the ears, without just being radio pablum.

"Savage" is a winner. If all you have is "Sweet Dreams" this would be a good next step. If all you have is "Greatest Hits" then I am very sorry for you - you're missing out on great tracks like "Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)", "Shame" and "I Need You" - and those are just off this album. Just think what you're missing from the other four?

Best tracks: Beethoven (I Love To Listen To), You Have Placed a Chill in My Heart, Shame, Savage, I Need a Man, I Need You

No comments: