Sunday, July 25, 2010

Figurine: Rogue and Bard

Once again more figurines have been painted! These ones come with a twist. About every five figures or so, I repaint old figures that I did years ago.

I don't know why I do this - I have plenty of new ones waiting, I guess I just like the nostalgia of it all, and it is nice to see what you can do with limited options.

These two figures are from the eighties. The guy on the left is a rogue made in the late eighties by a company called Mithril, that did a lot of imagining of Lord of the Rings scenes - and many of them are very cool. This guy is not a famous character, and therefore a bit rare.

The guy on the right is a bard from an old set called "Thieves, Monks, and Bards" that came out in the early eighties. So here they are in their original paint jobs (o, the embarrassment):


To start over all you need is some extra strength oven cleaner and a tupperware container.

This and a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush takes off all the old paint (Easy Off works on oven grease, and so oil based paint is not a problem):

Then, they get a coat of primer so I can start over. Both of these guys had lost their original swords over the years, so I cannibalized some parts from some more recent figures and gave them new swords (and hands):

And, voila! Here they are with the newest painting techniques. Still not likely to win any beauty contests, but a hell of a lot better than they were.
And of course, from the back. I really like the Mithril figure (guy on the left). These figures were ahead of their time, and I wish I could find them now, but they are hard to come by. Note that while I update them, I try to honour my original colour palette. I dunno why - it is a thing I do.

Next up on the painting table - a sphinx!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

These turned out great - I need to take a good look at them.