Friday, July 9, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 150: Beck

It would seem I have a lot of music that is hard to categorize. Categories are so limiting anyway - I'm reading a book partly about this right now!

It has been suggested that I add "alternative" as a category. I'm tempted, but I am resisting it because I think alternative is always either pop or rock at some level. It is also an overused term in music reviews, and I refuse to succumb!

OK, I've eased along this review enough, methinks.

Disc 150 is...The Information
Artist: Beck

Year of Release: 2006

What’s Up With The Cover?: Now there's a question. For this album, Beck just put it out with blank graph-paper both on the front and inside sleeve. The album comes with a bunch of stickers that you can put on yourself, thus letting you do your own album art. This is very cool.

I haven't actually decorated this record yet but don't misunderstand my motives - I'm not saving this for collection purposes. I'm a firm believer that life is to be lived outside the package. It is just that the various graphics that the CD provides aren't very inspiring to either myself or Sheila. Here's a picture of all of them:
Maybe I'll go buy my own stickers and use those instead. I think Beck would actually like that.

How I Came To Know It: I have been listening to Beck ever since Greg brought home "Mellow Gold" when "I'm a Loser" was a hit back in 1993. "The Information" is just us buying up all his records. I bought this one when it came out.

How It Stacks Up: We have eight Beck albums, which are all of them, unless he just put something out. Of the eight, "The Information" is not one of my favourites. I'd put it 6th or 7th.

Rating: 2 stars.

Beck defies description quite often, and his albums are often very different from one another. "The Information" is a blend of groovy back beats coupled with his sort of monotone rap-style that he's been doing since he got started.

"The Information" begins well and the first four songs, ("Elevator Music", "Think I'm In Love", "Cellphone's Dead" and "Strange Apparition") are all pretty strong. I thought I was heading for a solid three star review. I particularly like the piano tinkling in "Strange Apparition."

I believe Beck is at his best when he puts together a song in a fairly traditional manner, and then spices it up with a bit of strange electronica. In this way, he is like the recently reviewed Tom Waits; turning a strong pop song into something unique with some brave and inspired production.

Sadly, the strength at the front end of the record doesn't hold up throughout, and a lot of what follows is largely forgettable. Part of this is that the songs aren't consistently strong, and so all you're left with are the odd electronic sounds.

At other times, Beck overdoes the expirementation. I find the electronic noises he samples from everyday life particularly annoying. This is why his critically favoured album, "Odelay" tends to annoy me as well. "The Information" tends to go down the same road in places. Not quite as bad as the pervasive modem connection sounds in "Odelay" but still clearly noises that aren't intended to be musical.

I admire Beck for trying to make them musical, but it can feel like he's trying to push a square peg through a round hole. This is a fun activity when you're young, and they foolishly leave you with that shape-toy unsupervised. Trust me - that square peg will fit if you work at it!

It just doesn't fit quite so well with the music on this record. On the strength of "side A" this record gets 2 stars, and almost claimed 3, but right at the end he added this long, rambling 10 minute plus track of weirdness, titled "The Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton" (yes that's one song). That put it just south of three. Know when to say when, Beck.

Best tracks: Think I'm In Love, Cellphone's Dead, Strange Apparition.

No comments: