Sunday, May 2, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 123: Townes Van Zandt

After a brief hiatus, I'm home from a whirlwind trip to Vancouver where I celebrated my buddy Tony's 40th birthday (Happy Birthday!)

This review sees a new category introduced to the CD Odyssey - a quick comment on album covers. Why? Why not.

Disc 123 is...Delta Momma Blues
Artist: Townes Van Zandt

Year of Release: 1971

What’s Up With The Cover?: A relaxed Townes leans nonchalantly against a wall. Beside him someone has apparently discarded a perfectly good bed spring - or it belongs to that couple making out in the shade of the staircase. Um...Townes - maybe give them a little space?

How I Came To Know It: As I've noted in previous Van Zandt reviews, I came to know him through a tribute album by Steve Earle. "Delta Momma Blues" is a more recent addition, and is just me drilling through his catalogue.

How It Stacks Up: I have five Van Zandt albums, as well as a live album. Of those five, the previously reviewed "High Low and In Between/The Late Great Townes Van Zandt" is the best (technically two albums). I place "Delta Momma Blues" last among the five studio albums, but still excellent.

Rating: 4 stars.

"Delta Momma Blues" is right in the middle of Van Zandt's highly creative period, which ran from about 1968 to 1972.

Although this album is solidly folk, it does add some blues elements. It works well enough, particularly on "Brand New Companion", I love the opening of this song:

"I've got a brand new companion
Gonna do right this time
She cools me with her breathing
And chases away those half bottles of wine"

"Brand New Companion" reminds me of KISS' "Cold Gin", as a song about a relationship at least partly based on having someone to get drunk with.

Most of the other tracks are either sad and introspective, break up songs, or a combination of both. Exemplified in "Come Tomorrow":

"It's strange how many tortured mornings
Fell upon us with no warning
Looking for a smile to beg or borrow
It's over now, there's no returning
A thousand bridges sadly burning
That light the way I'll have to walk alone
Come tomorrow."

The exception to these themes is the opening track "FFV". This is a track about an engineer who drives his train too fast, crashes it, and dies in the wreck. Well, it is kind of related, the engineer admits he's 'proud to die with the engine I love, 143', so it is sort of a love song.

"Delta Momma Blues" is not an uplifting album, but it is a good one. Townes is mournful and believable, and both music and lyrics showcase his incredible talent.

Best tracks: FFV, Only Him Or Me, Tower Song, Come Tomorrow, Brand New Companion, Rake

No comments: