Thursday, April 15, 2010

CD Odyssey Disc 117: Thelonious Monk

The next disc in the Odyssey is a return to jazz. If you like jazz, you better really enjoy this review, because I don't have very much of it.

Disc 117 is...Underground
Artist: Thelonious Monk

Year of Release: 1968

How I Came To Know It: I had a "best of" Thelonious Monk album (wich I reviewed way way back at Disc 5) and I wanted to get an actual album. I picked this one because I liked the write up on the back, and because it had none of the songs on my compilation album.

But who am I kidding? I also picked it because it has a kick ass cover featuring Thelonious dressed up as a French partisan in the second world war. I particularly dig his hot Maquis girlfriend in the background.

How It Stacks Up: Since the only other album by Monk that I have is a "best of" this album doesn't have anything to compare to. I'd like to get more, but I'm not sure I put jazz on often enough to justify it.

Rating: 3 stars.

I don't like a lot of modern jazz, but I have a soft spot for a few artists that made their music in the fifties and sixties. Of these few, Monk is definitely my favourite.

I'm not going to say a lot about this record musically, other than that I enjoyed it. Frankly, I don't know enough about what the hell is going on to comment. Then again, I have a strong suspicion three quarters of the people that stand around at cocktail parties and discuss jazz don't know what the hell they are talking about either.

Therefore, I'll stick with the basics. Generally, I like Monk best when he is in a fast groove, rather than his introspective moody stuff. On this album, that means I prefer "Thelonious" and "Raise Four" as the more accessible and upbeat tracks.

"Thelonious" is an example of how self-absorbed jazz musicians can be. I mean the song is named after the writer. On the "best of" album I've got he has two more of these - "Monk's Dream" and "Blue Monk." That's up there with Queensryche writing a song called "Queen of the Reich.

The other song "Raise Four," feels like it is riffing off of the Dave Brubeck song "Take Five" - it has a similar vibe. The title implies that's the case as well, but I have no true idea.

My friend Penelope once told me "To appreciate jazz, you first have to know what tune they are fucking with." I thought this hilarious, and for the uninitiated like me, it is as good a theory as any. Anyway, the suggestion alone made "Raise Four" that much more enjoyable.

This particular CD release has great production, but sadly has felt the need to include three bonus tracks. They are all just different "Takes" of songs already on the album, which is pretty lame.

I suppose there is some guy out there that is very excited that this album has the coveted Take 2 of "Boo Boo's Birthday" - since the original album decided to go with Take 11. I am not that guy. "Boo Boo's Birthday" sounds pretty much the same to me twice over.

The liner notes to this record are way too pretentious with one notable exception. On one page it looks like they've kept the original back cover of the record, which has this ridiculous back story about "Capitaine Monk." The notes make out like the room he is photoed in is actually his Manhattan apartment, and that he actually was in the Maquis during the second world war. It ends with this little bit of prose:

"Actually, the title of this album, UNDERGROUND, is something of a misnomer - Monk surfaced long ago! He has been committing thelonious assaults on certain hidebound enclaves of jazz since the mid-Forties. Oh yes, about the girl with the firearm in the background. No explanation was asked, nor was one forthcoming."

Yeah - I noticed her too.

Best tracks: Thelonious, Raise Four

No comments: