Tuesday, December 22, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 70: ELO

From seventies folk-rock to eighties disco-pop. The CD Odyssey rolls on...

Disc 70 is...Time

Artist: E.L.O. (Electric Light Orchestra)

Year of Release: 1981

How I Came To Know It: I had heard ELO as a kid on the radio, but it was Sheila that made me appreciate them. "Time" is one of her favourite albums. More often than not, whether we are playing a game, or picking music for a trip, or deciding what to paint the house to, when I ask for her to pick an album, "Time" is often the response.

How It Stacks Up: We have three ELO albums. "Time" is definitely the best of the bunch.

Rating: 4 stars.

In the "How I Came To Know It" I note this is one of Sheila's favourite albums. What I didn't add is how much is has become one of my favourites as well.

The first thing I noticed about this album was the overall strength of the songs. This is quality pop music, coming out at a time (1981) where there was an overabundance of schlock (think Air Supply). There are no wasted tracks, although I particularly like the dressed down "Rain Is Falling." Dressed down that is, in comparison to the normal song in the synth/disco/pop world of ELO.

The songs that have a lot of production are just as good, though - and that is the second thing that struck me about this album; the incredible production. Whether it is his own projects with ELO or with others (Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" comes to mind), Jeff Lynne does consistently excellent production work.

"Time" is a concept album about time-travel and futuristic themes. The record is filled with heavy synthesizer, and widely varying voice production ranging from do-wop to almost techno in sound (often both techniques within the same song). Lynne blends all of this seamlessly, in a way that makes you feel the future, but at the same time never lose the human undertones that allows you to emotionally connect with the work.

There are also some great anachronistic "future" lyrics that sound funny now, like this from "Yours Truly 2095":

"I drive the very latest hover car.
I don't know where you are
- but I miss you so much 'til then
I met someone who looks a lot like you
She does the things you do,
but she is an IBM."

But then from the same song, lines with an eerie modern resonance:

"She is the latest in technology
Almost mythology
But she has a heart of stone
She has an IQ of 1001
She has a jump suit on
And she's also a telephone."

Did Jeff Lynne stare Nostradamus-like into the future and foresee the rise of the i-phone?

While a few lyrics can be goofy, "Time" really works as a cohesive piece of art. The songs are strong without any real duds, and they manage to be complementary to one another, yet distinctive in their own right (this balance is a key part of the chemistry of a good concept album).

The version we have has three bonus tracks, two of which I could live without. However, the third "Julie Don't Live Here Anymore" is well worth having, so I can suffer the other two for it.

In closing, this is unique blend of pop music, sci fi imaginings, a cohesive album concept and not a small amount of disco. You'll likely never see that again. Er...on second thought, The Alan Parsons Project's "I Robot", also gets a tick in all those boxes, but that is for another review.

For now - take my advice, and take Sheila's advice. This album is worth having. You won't be disappointed.

Best tracks: Twilight, Rain is Falling, The Lights Go Down, Here is the News, 21st Century Man, Julie Don't Live Here.

1 comment:

Joel C said...

I'd just like to say that in Grade 6 I took a lot of flak for liking ELO. In particular, I loved the Xanadu soundtrak...I saw that movie at least 30 or 40 times and owned the cassette, album, and eventually CD of the soundtrack.

I now see that it was geek love...and I'm ok with that. I feel less embarassed about that that than my forays into the really bad hair bands of the late 80's. I will only admit to that here...