Sunday, November 29, 2009

Figurine: Hammer Bot

I've had a flurry of painting lately, so following closely on the heels of the Lunging Vampire, I bring you the equally deadly...Hammer Bot!

OK, not so deadly, but much funnier. This miniature is from a board game called "Robo-Rally", in which each player is a robot left in an abandoned factory. The robots race each other through the factory, avoiding malfunctioning laser beams, pit traps, and crushing walls (and each other). It is a hilarious good time.

We were lucky to get a rare copy of Robo-Rally which had unpainted metal miniatures (most of the later ones were painted plastic). Sheila and I each have four robots to paint - this is my third one, she has done one so far (just hasn't rolled as many).

Yes, we roll which miniatures we are going to paint randomly.

Anyway, here is Hammer-Bot.

I tried to give him a weathered look. Like he has been around the factory a long time and his once impressive red paint job is starting to flake away. I also thought he had a kind of sad "face" so I used the weathering to slightly anthropomorphize him.

Here he is from the back:

And here are the robots we've done so far. From left to right, we have "Tank Bot", "TV Bot", "Hammer Bot" and "Tonka Bot" (not the names they come with, but much better names after we were through with them).

Sheila did "Tonka Bot" and I did the rest. We agreed that all of them should have the same base (the arrow designates what way they are facing for game purposes).

These are all simple figs, that aren't hard to paint, but I really like their goofiness. Tank Bot and Tonka Bot are actually the same figure, but I added a cannon to Tank Bot to make him look a little different.

No comments: