Thursday, November 26, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 59: Captain Tractor

Another album, another Canadian band! Not exactly Leonard Cohen this time, but still a good time...

Disc 59 is...Bought the Farm


Artist: Captain Tractor

Year of Release: 1997

How I Came To Know It: I first saw Captain Tractor on MuchMusic doing a video for "Last Saskatchewan Pirate" in about 1995 or 1996. That song rules, but I'll talk about it when I roll it - this album is their follow up to that one, so just me drilling the collection (such as it was at the time).

I actually saw the tour for this album back in 1997, when they came to town and played a local pub. It was an awesome show, so if you get a chance see these guys live do so - for a low cover charge you'll drink beers, and dance your ass off. When you're done, collect your ass and take a cab home - see Captain Tractor responsibly!

How It Stacks Up: I have 3 Captain Tractor albums (I used to have 4 but "Celebrity Traffic Jam" is awful). This album is a close second to the classic album that preceded it.

Rating: 3 stars.

Captain Tractor is a Canadian folk/rock band from the 1990s. They might still be making music now, but I haven't bought any of their discs since "Celebrity Traffic Jam" (see above).

Captain Tractor has that unique Canadian blend of roots rock with celtic/maritime folk. I have a soft spot for these kind of bands. In this case, Captain Tractor is from Edmonton - which is kind of funny, since they were made famous by the remake of "Last Saskatchewan Pirate".

"Bought The Farm" has a solid mix of songs. Some are breakup album songs, but they are good tracks about growing apart under the pressures of the road. I imagine this is the writer falling out with the woman who sings on the album that precedes this one, but is not to be found here.

Other tracks have a social commentary feel, about drug abuse or prostitution. These are right in the pocket of where such songs should be - they capture the emotional loss of the downtrodden, but don't come off preachy. Art should never be a speech, it should be a...um...well, a song. I really like these lines from "40 miles of pain":

"Who loves? What is love?
Standing in the rain
When your face paint becomes war paint
you can never wipe it off again
Who loves? What is love?
Standing in the rain
Does anybody here love Mary?"


Of course, Captain Tractor is best known for their fun, rollicking songs about drinking, carousing and various goofy fun things - often with Canadian referencing.

Although the single on this album, "Here We Go Again", is fun and serviceable, my favourite is "Frozen Puck to the Head", which tells the tale of a minor league hockey player who falls in love with a local diner waitress. The chorus is:

"Love hit him
Love hit him
Love hit him like a frozen puck to the head"


Now that's how you fall in love - Canadian style!

I also love all the references to my home and native land, also from "Frozen Puck"

"He was real quiet as he ate his meal
just listenin' to the radio play Rita McNeil"

And from "I Remember You"

"It's raining again in Vancouver
I haven't seen the sun in seven days
I'm sitting here in Kitsilano
Waiting for a chance to play."

Anyway, Captain Tractor is a rollicking good time. They have even inspired me to make an album of all songs about sports. You might say the idea hit me like a frozen puck to the head.

Best tracks: Here We Go Again, Frozen Puck to the Head, I Remember You, 40 Miles of Pain,

No comments: