Friday, October 2, 2009

CD Odyssey Disc 38: U2

Another random roll, another "best of". I am determined to put a new spin on this type of disc. No pun intended.

Disc 38 is...The Best of 1980-1990

Artist: U2

Year of Release: 1998 but music from...1980-1990

How I Came To Know It: These songs are all pretty famous - I heard them all on the radio throughout and after high school.

How It Stacks Up: best ofs don't stack up. It ain't right.

Rating: no ratings for best ofs - you do read this blog, right?

I could spend this review talking about how good U2 is (they are good), Bono's voice, the Edge's guitar - which may not be top 10, but is certainly responsible for a goodly portion of the band's unique sound, etc.

However, I'll save my accolades for U2 for when I roll one of their studio albums (I think I have 8).

Instead, since this album is a retrospective, I think it deserves a retrospective of my relationship with U2 over the years. Frankly, it is a lesson learned in keeping an open mind.

Or to be more precise - not keeping an open mind. In point of fact, when I first heard U2 I was in junior high, and I promptly decided I hated them.

They represented a form of music I didn't have time for - pop. They represented a movement I didn't appreciate - in this case anything everyone else liked.

At the time my musical goals were to demonstrate my deep and abiding love of Heavy Metal. My social goal was to not just follow the herd. Sadly, this sometimes meant I didn't give something the chance it deserved, particularly if it impinged on my growing sense of self.

Sure I was only 14 - but that's hardly an excuse.

So I shortchanged myself of one of the eighties great bands - U2, who were putting out good music when it was in short supply. I should point out I also rejected The Clash, and The Police, which I equally regret.

Luckily, years later Sheila reminded me of how great these bands are. I was afforded the opportunity to revisit them with eyes unclouded by hate (just like that guy in Princess Mononoke - except without the cursed demon-hand thing going on).

So I repent my early errors - and any listen to this particular "Best Of" will quickly demonstrates why. Fourteen great tracks - the majority of which I'll talk about when I roll the album they actually appear on.

This particular version of this album is the "Limited Edition" one - although since my copy is #39,662, I'm not sure how limited it really is. At least in practical terms, it means it has a second CD of the B-Sides of all these singles.

These are pretty interesting, although not surprisingly overall they don't hold up well against the hits on album 1. Some songs do stand out, so those are the ones I've put in the best tracks segment.

Strangely, there are 14 tracks on the A-sides, and 15 on the B-sides. How can that be? I know what you're thinking - the single "The Sweetest Thing" makes it uneven. Ah...that's what I thought, but there is a version of this song on both albums!

It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma - but one that will have to go unsolved for now.

Best tracks: From the B-Sides, "Dancing Barefoot", "Hallelujah Here She Comes" and "Endless Deep"

No comments: