Saturday, December 30, 2023

The Best Albums of 2023

I once again listened to a lot of new releases in 2023 and found 77 of them worth buying. That’s roughly the same as last year (80) but more indicative of my restless desire for new music than any stability or lack thereof in quality records.

Having done this for a few years now, I know that it is inevitable that I’ll later find some record that I regret not including on this list. Despite that eventuality, you could do a lot worse than taking this carefully curated list of gems into your home.

While it would be true to say I love all these records equally in their own way, that’s not how top 10 lists work. I’m looking at you when I write this, Paste Magazine, and I do not like what I see. Take a stand and rank ‘em!

OK, on with the action.

10 Olivia RoderigoGuts

-          I discovered Olivia Roderigo through a friend’s top 10 list for 2021. He was right – Sour was one of the best records of that year. Her 2023 follow up, Guts is a worthy follow up, capturing the same lush pop production and joyfulness, while exploring the moral complexities of getting a little older. It seems only fitting to include a major hit from an album that is about as commercial as it gets, but so good I can't hold that against it. Here’s Vampire.

9 Be Your Own PetMommy

-          I didn’t know this band existed until 2023. They go all the way back to 2006, but had a long hiatus from 2008 until last year. Based on Mommy I’ll be exploring their back catalogue, because this is some punk rock gold. Here’s Goodtime! a song that seems appropriate for a band deciding to punk it up again after 15 years away.

8 Jason Isbell and the 400 UnitWeathervanes

-          After a couple of ‘meh’ albums over the last few years (Reunions, Georgia Blue) Isbell and his Unit return to form with Weathervanes. Truth be told I thought about putting Jeffrey Martin in this slot (see the honourable mention section below) but decided to start the veteran over the rookie. You’ll get your chance, rook! You’ll get your chance, rook! Here’s a sad one, but a good one, Cast Iron Skillet.

6 Molly Tuttle and Golden HighwayCity of Gold

-          Last year I shortchanged Molly Tuttle by putting Crooked Tree on my honourable mention list when it should have made the top 10. I won’t make the same mistake with City of Gold. Here’s Alice in the Bluegrass which reimagines the Alice in Wonderland story with…bluegrass!

6 Chappell Roan - The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess

-        Chappell Roan confidently straddles the line between the slick and glitzy production of Guts and the understated songwriting of Samia’s Honey (again, see honourable mentions below), making her an easy choice for multiple reasons. This album is both heartfelt and funny. Here's Red Wine Supernova, which carries on the vampire theme from the Olivia Rodrigo selection. Sort of.

5 WhitehorseI’m not Crying, You’re Crying

-          Much like Jason Isbell, 2023 saw Whitehorse return to form with one of their best records ever. I’m not Crying, You’re Crying digs heavily into old school country song structures but still sounds fresh and new. Here’s If the Loneliness Don’t Kill Me.

4 Miya FolickROACH

-          ROACH is one of those albums where half the songs were released as an EP, with the LP following 6-12 months later. This double-selling annoys me, but I couldn’t stay annoyed at Miya Folick for long. ROACH is just too good a record. If you like your pop music both catchy and thoughtful, then this is for you.  Here’s Bad Thing. 

3 Jess WilliamsonTime Ain’t Accidental

-          In the same year I gave up on Jess Williamson’s album “Cosmic Wink” she released one of my favourite records. If you are one of those people who claim to not love country music, I would invite you to see if Time Ain’t Accidental can change your mind. Here’s the title track, it even has a bit of weird percussion for you pop-preference types.

2 AJJDisposable Everything

-          Another band that has been around for years, that I just discovered through this 2023 release. This record is not exactly uplifting – more the opposite – but it can’t all be roses and light, so if you want to explore a little disintegration, this post-punk gem is for you. Here’s the apocalyptic Death Machine.

1 Boy GoldenFor Jimmy

-          If a record has all great songs, no bad ones and inspires you both musically and lyrically then it is a perfect record. For Jimmy is exactly that. Best of the year! Here’s Mountain Road.

Honourable Mention – all great, but fell short because I could only pick a top 10. Some of these had “genre” showdowns against similar records that made the cut, but are just as good on any given day. Here are 5 more in no particular order in the event you aren’t sated by the official winners:

  • Jeffrey Martin - Thank God We Left the Garden; Caroline Polachek – Desire, I Want to Turn Into You; Bonnie Prince BillyKeeping Secrets will Destroy You; SamiaHoney; Jeff Rosenstock - HELLMODE

No comments: