Wednesday, January 11, 2023

CD Odyssey Disc 1613: Lyle Lovett

Yesterday I posted my top 10 albums of 2022. Scroll down to the previous entry if you want to see those, but you should know, this next review is not one of them

Disc 1613 is…12th of June

Artist: Lyle Lovett

Year of Release: 2022

What’s up with the Cover?  Lyle Lovett loves album covers with an out of focus black and white vibe. Here, we have a single leaf in focus, which we are left to assume is meaningful. My first thought is that the 12th of June is kind of early for the leaves to start falling.

How I Came To Know It: I have Lovett’s entire discography and I’ve been a fan for years, so even though I didn’t know he’d released a new album until I saw it on the shelf of my local record store, I bought it anyway on faith.

How It Stacks Up: I have 12 Lyle Lovett albums, which is all of them. The 12th of June (his 12th record – get it?) comes in dead last.

Rating: 2 stars

One of the great things about old friends is that over time you learn to set aside all those arguments about things you disagree about and just enjoy each other’s company. No need to rehash old grievances without purpose. Unfortunately, my old musical pal, Lyle Lovett did not get the memo, since “12th of June” goes to considerable lengths to annoy me.

At this stage of our relationship (note that here I am referring to my long-time listening of Lovett’s music as a “relationship”. This is metaphorical only, Lyle – no restraining order necessary).

Anyway, at this stage of our relationship Lyle must know my general dislike of free form jazz. I don’t mind Lyle jazzifying his previous albums up a bit in a sort of big band way. Hell, I like Glenn Miller as much as the next guy. I can even forgive the occasional unexpected chord progression. But on “12th of June” Lyle goes right in with the argumentative zeal of an old friend with one too many hi-balls in his system.

The opening track of this record is “Cookin’ at the Continental” and jazz is on the menu for every course here. I wasn’t even given the gift of Lyle’s immediately recognizable crooner-style vocals. Just all instruments running all over the tune with willful abandon, like a toddler teetering through the kitchen in muddy gumboots.

While this is the worst offender on “12th of June” it is far from alone. There is all kinds of noodlefest and artisanal solos designed to prioritize clever seekers ahead of pleasure seekers.

It isn’t all bad on the jazz front. The second track, “Pants is Overrated” is full of big band fun and reminded me (favourably) of Lyle when he’s backed up by his Large Band. There is also some killer trumpet action flourishing away, and I am a sucker for a trumpet flourish. The notion that “pants is overrated” is a fun one, and well proved through the verses which include this narrow window escape:

“I'd have never made it out that window
If I'd even put just one leg in though
But as it was the circumstance
I gladly lost my favourite pants”

But then right in the middle, just when I’m ready to get back to a friendly visit, Lyle decides to throw in a verse to the tune of “I’m a Little Teacup”. Why, Lyle? Why?

On “Straighten Up and Fly Right” Lovett tries on at least two (maybe more) jazz instrumentals. However, this time the song’s glorious Sinatra-like swing led me to forgive this third transgression as slightly unsettling, but worth it.

One of my favourite moments on the record wasn’t even a song I liked, but rather a misheard lyric. Sheila and I thought “Pig Meat Man” was “Big Meat Man”. It gave a whole different vibe to the tune but even with the welcome and accidental innuendo, the song was just…meh.

For all this good-natured mockery (after all, Lyle and I are “friends” as described earlier) there were still some great moments on “12th of June”, none more so than the title track. On this song Lyle goes back to his country roots, showcasing his ability to write an evocative, emotionally complex tune as well as anyone. He also demonstrates that even at the tender age of 65 he has one hell of a voice.

This record grew on me on repeat listens, which is a good sign, but it started at point so low it never fully recovered. I still love Lyle’s previous discography, but since this particular record will only put that love to the test, I’m going to do the responsible thing and part with it.

Best tracks: Straighten Up and Fly Right, 12th of June

No comments: