Saturday, October 8, 2022

CD Odyssey Disc 1591: Garbage

It’s not a good sign when you are at the front of a long weekend and it still feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day, but here we are. I’m squeezing out an hour to review this next record. While I’ve enjoyed it, I’ve enjoyed it for over a week, and it is time to move on.

Disc 1591 is…. Beautiful Garbage

Artist: Garbage

Year of Release: 2001

What’s up with the Cover?  A rose in the centre of what looks like a computer-generated assortment of geometric shapes. At least I hope this is computer generated, because if it isn’t it means a human did this on purpose.

How I Came To Know It: This album came out back when music videos were still a thing you watched on TV. I think I saw videos for a couple of these songs and both Sheila and I liked them. I probably bought this for her as a birthday or Christmas gift but given it has been over twenty years my memory is a bit hazy.

How It Stacks Up: I have three Garbage albums (they have seven, but the three I have are plenty for me at this point). This is my last review of those three. I had saved a spot for, “Beautiful Garbage” at #2, but it outperformed my expectations and I’m going to land it at #1. Here is the revised and complete recap:

  1. Beautiful Garbage: 3 stars (reviewed right here)
  2. Self-Titled: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 1374)
  3. No Gods No Masters: 2 stars (reviewed at Disc 1504)

 Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

“Beautiful Garbage” is one of those rare albums that has all the failings of early oughts production but uses them so artfully they become an asset.

Music from the early oughts can be a tough slog. Music producers were in love with loud, turning up all the channels all at once to the point where it feels like the music is shouting at you. There was also a fascination with mixing electronic sounds into rock music which could sound very forced and artificial when mishandled.

That ‘loud’ element is ever-present on “Beautiful Garbage” – I played it at about three ticks lower in the car just to hold it at arm’s length - but somehow it feels festive and powerful rather than annoying. There is a kind of electronic crunch when this kind of production is done right that makes everything feel melodramatic, but in a good way. It kind of made me feel like I was in an extended episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; angsty but heroic.

The record opens with “Shut Your Mouth” which has all of this sound in spades. There is a heavy effect on lead singer Shirley Manson’s vocals that makes them metallic and Matrixy, and the guitars are fuzzed out to the edge of reason. It all works great, however, and the song feels powerful. It is the musical equivalent of a very thick and delicious strawberry milkshake; delicious and sweet but a bit hard to get up the straw.

I was surprised to find that this record only spawned one Top 20 hit. That’s the album’s second track, “Androgyny” which landed at #19 in Canada. This song is an anthem to gender fluidity and acceptance, and in 2001 delightfully ahead of its time. It also has a cool groove to it, and despite throwing every mixing board trick at the wall like spaghetti, the resulting pattern ends up once again working.

Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)” is a sugary pop tune that is vacuous and silly and wholly enjoyable to bounce along to even after all these years.

While those are the songs I remember from back in the day, on this listen I was struck by some of the album’s subtler offerings. “Can’t Cry These Tears” sounds like a sixties Supremes tune, albeit gussied up with that early-oughts production. “Cup of Coffee” and “Drive You Home” both showcase the gentle side of Manson’s voice, the former being a melancholy break up, and the latter an undulating tune for lovers yearning for one another late at night.

If I were to read a review of “Beautiful Garbage” today, it would be full of all kinds of warnings to stay away – the overblown production, the flourishes of electronica, and the melodramatic topics. However, it not only overcomes these elements, it converts them from bugs into features. I’d been away for a good ten years and had forgotten how much I used to like this album. Rediscovering it was a lovely treat during an otherwise busy week.

Best tracks: Shut Your Mouth, Adrogyny, Cup of Coffee, Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go), Drive You Home

No comments: