Wednesday, May 6, 2020

CD Odyssey Disc 1365: Grace Potter


Would you believe that this next artist is the granddaughter of Colonel Sherman Potter and Beatrix Potter?

I sure hope not. Because it is totally not true, and the reason is obvious: Beatrix Potter is old enough to be Col. Potter’s mother! Also, Col. Potter is a fictional character, and thus incapable of siring children outside of the imaginary kind.

But I digress…here’s a music review.

Disc 1365 is…. Daylight
Artist: Grace Potter

Year of Release: 2019

What’s up with the Cover? Behold the cyclopean majesty of Grace Potter’s Giant Head. Her voice is even bigger.

How I Came To Know It: I read a review of this album last year. It was enough to go check her out, and I liked what I heard.

How It Stacks Up:  I liked what I heard so much I went out looking for two of her other albums as well. I found one of them (“The Lion, the Beast and the Beat”) and am still looking for another. Of the two I have so far, I rank “Daylight” #1.

Ratings: 3 stars

I didn’t learn anything special about my inmost soul listening to “Daylight.” It didn’t break any new ground in terms of songwriting or production either. In the end none of that mattered very much, however, because it does what it does very well.

This is straightforward, mainstream music, straddling the safest confluences of pop, rock and R&B. What makes it worth your time is the high level of excellence it accomplishes in the execution of these well-worn paths.

It helps that Grace Potter has a voice that has unearthly power and tone. She can sing any style of music, and on “Daylight” she proves it, ranging through most of what popular music has to offer. She can croon with sweetness in her head voice or belt out a rock growl from down in the chest with equal effect. Listening to her slide from style to style as the individual song demands is worth experiencing just for the technical joy of it all.

Eric Valentine’s production is nice and pure, and gives room for those vocals to soar. And while this is a solo album, Potter has surrounded herself with an exceptional set of musicians, including Heartbreaker Benmont Tench on piano, and pop duo Lucius providing additional layers on backing vocals.

Back to Me” is the perfect confluence of the album’s best elements, featuring a mid-seventies R&B groove. Potter delivers a raspy rock growl, which is offset by in-the-groove backing vocals from Lucius. Throw in a horn section, and some proto-disco funk and you’ve got a song with a little bit of everything that somehow manages to all fit together.

Another standout is “Release.” Here Potter trades in all that wild funk production for a stripped down, emotionally raw song. Potter still belts it out with authority, but this time her vocal is filled with pain and loss. Pianist Michael Busbee is featured on this track, and his somber, majestic playing adds even greater gravitas to the tune. When I was looking him up my heart caught in my throat when I saw he died of brain cancer in October 2019, only a month after this record came out. If this was one of his last recordings, he left a worthy legacy.

Lyrically, the album doesn’t have any revelatory moments, although Potter’s vocals infuse what is there with plenty of emotion. On the best songs, she draws you in and transports the words to a higher plane than they earn on their own. On the lesser tracks, I found myself thinking they should be appearing on an episode of American Idol. You know, those songs that give the singer lots of room to show how great they are but that are generic enough not to offend the middle-America sensibilities of the voters.

While that’s a bit of a criticism (a hypocritical one given that I still watch American Idol), it is a muted one. If anything, I’m picking up on the accessibility of these tunes, and wondering why Grace Potter isn’t knocking out chart-topping hits.

In the end, I wasn’t overwhelmed by this record, but it does go beyond simply technical prowess, managing more than a few moments of genuine transcendence in the process.  

Best tracks: Back To Me, Every Heartbeat, Release, Shout It Out

No comments: