Wednesday, April 15, 2020

CD Odyssey Disc 1359: Erin Durant


It’s only been a month, but I’m already jonesing to buy new music. Fortunately, I have a backlog of new stuff bought in happier days dating back to about last September, so there is still plenty of stuff to discover and rediscover. Here’s one of those.

Disc 1359 is…. Islands
Artist: Erin Durant

Year of Release: 2019

What’s up with the Cover? Not much. There are liner notes that when folded open also provide a full colour version of the picture. I can assure you it is no less boring in colour.

How I Came To Know It: I read reviews of this album on my two favourite online music magazines (Paste and Pitchfork) and while neither was effusive in its praise, the combination sufficiently intrigued me to dig a little deeper. And here we are.

How It Stacks Up:  This is my only Erin Durant album, so it can’t really stack up against anything.

Ratings: 4 stars

It’s been a lovely week of weather, culminating today in temperatures approaching 20 degrees Celsius, and so the relaxed, lyrical and languorous experience of Erin Durant’s “Islands” was the perfect soundtrack; a cure for the cares and worries in life.

Durant’s voice is a mix of whimsy and bird song, as she picks her way down a narrow path midway between folk and pop, flowers blooming on both sides of her as she goes. She isn’t a powerhouse singer by any stretch, but she has a sweetness in her tone that makes you want to lay down in a hammock and stare at the sky.

The album only has eight tracks but they take their time fully exploring their musical concepts, with songs routinely pushing close to or past the six minute mark. Durant allows herself to have two or three distinct movements in these longer tracks, and it serves to hold your attention for the time it takes her to tell her stories.

Those stories aren’t narrative epics by any stretch. They are little pastoral scenes, filled with journeys (both spiritual and physical) and more than a little casual alcohol consumption. On “Rising Sun” she sings:

“I’m so tired and a little drunk
Just want you to hold me
‘Till my time is up”

She follows this up on the second track (“Sand Dunes”) with “drinking my wine/On a Saturday night” and by Track Seven (“Islands”) she’s switched to the hard stuff and is “drinking margaritas/On a Saturday night.” The songs suggest evening drinking, but it feels more like a summer evening. The sun may be low in the sky and casting some doubtful shadows (Durant throws in more than a few doubts and worries into her lyrics), but it’s still warm and surrounded by her high lilt, making it all seem endurable.

The songs meander a little, but they are thought-provoking like a daydream, when you think deep thoughts but not with a particular focus.

The whole album has this cohesive feel to it, with the exception of “Winterlude” which stands out like a sore thumb. This one song is as wintry as the title implies, and while it only lasts for 2:42 it kicked me out of the moment. That may have been the idea, but it wasn’t a welcome jolt.

Fortunately, the next song, “Islands” has Durant back to reminiscing, as she recalls wandering the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. She also takes the opportunity to have another drink – this time it’s champagne.

“Islands” isn’t for everyone, and there are moments where I thought, “is this a bit too cute?” It wasn’t for me, but it might be for you. There are moments where the mix of soft horn, tinkling piano and Durant’s hyper-sweet vocals definitely cross into twee territory. I liked the experience, but if you need your music to have more gravitas than the occasional thump of a bass note on a piano, you might want to look elsewhere. The lady doesn’t mind a little yearning, but she’s not up for a full wallow.

There are also moments where she cuts her own melody early to introduce a new concept to the song. This is kind of like that break in the middle of Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s “Kubla Khan”; you can resent the interruption, or you can enjoy the extra layer it affords the overall experience. For both Durant and Coleridge, I find myself doing the latter.

It's a minor miracle that I bothered checking this record out at all. Pitchfork gave the record a lowly 6.7/10 and Paste only 7.4. for all that, halfway through the first notes of “Rising Sun” I knew I was hooked. It’s enough to make you wonder what the hell critics know anyway. Other than me, of course. You can trust me, gentle reader.

Best tracks: Rising Sun, Highway Blue, Good Ol’ Night, Islands

No comments: