Thursday, March 12, 2020

CD Odyssey Disc 1350: Lyle Lovett


The message from the evening news suggests people should stay close to home, so it’s fitting that this next album is inspired by someone’s home state.

Disc 1350 is…Step Inside This House
Artist: Lyle Lovett

Year of Release: 1998

What’s up with the Cover? An out-of-focus Lyle and an in-focus door. Is he stepping inside this house, or is he inviting us to step inside this house? I think the latter.

On a side not cover-related note, this album is one of those giant two-disc sets they used to sell in the late nineties at the height of CD popularity. Nowadays a two-disc set comes in a small flap of cardboard, but back in 1998 it came in this giant brick of a case, with covers that opened on both ends, weighty booklets and a spine so thick you’d think it was a Tolstoy novel.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it’s just a lot of unnecessarily wasted space on my packed shelves.

How I Came to Know It: This album escaped my attention when it came out, but a few years later I saw a used copy for sale at one of my local record stores and snapped it up, hoping for the best.

How It Stacks Up: I have 11 Lyle Lovett albums. They’re all good, and competition is fierce. I’ll put “Step Inside This House” at a respectable #7.

Ratings: 3 stars but almost 4

As I mentioned in the teaser, “Step Inside This House” is Lyle Lovett’s love letter to his home state of Texas. Lovett wrote none of these songs, instead curating them from some of his favourite Texan songwriters. Lovett has a lot of favourites, and with many he can’t just pick one song. The result is like a bouquet of a couple dozen roses; it’s a massive expression of love, but it is hard to know what to do with it all when you get it home.

Stylistically, Lovett is his usual unique blend of country crooner, blues and a hint of lounge singer. His vocals are some of the most underrated in music. He’s got an ability to hit deep emotion, but also express a sardonic wit within the same song. It’s like he’s got a tear in one eye, and he’s winking at you with the other, and both emotions are real.

Armed with some of the Lone Star State’s best talents (many of them previously unknown to me) Lovett has a lot to work with, and he doesn’t let the material down. If anything, the gravitas of his mission to pay homage to these artists grounds him more than usual.  

Over two albums, Lovett covers 21 songs, which is about a third too many. 14 would have been fine. Part of this is that Lovett really likes Walter Hyatt, Steven Fromholz and Townes Van Zandt, covering each of them four times. It’s fair to say I don’t love Hyatt and Fromholz the way Lovett does. When I was picking my favourite tracks, Fromholz appears once (with the middle part of the Texas Trilogy) and Hyatt not at all. I didn’t hate their songs, but they didn’t pull my heart strings.

Fortunately, Townes Van Zandt was there to make that happen and then some. Lovett has covered Van Zandt plenty of times over the years, but some of these selections are matches made in heaven. This is particularly true for “Flyin’ Shoes” where the light lilt of Townes’ melody is a perfect match for the airy croon of Lyle’s vocals. He also lends “Highway Kind” the kind of haunt it needs. As for “If I Needed You,” it is just one of those perfect songs that is hard to screw up. Lyle does not.

I expected to like the Townes songs, and I did. Seeing those titles on the back of the album probably encouraged me to buy it in the first place. However, once I stepped inside Mr. Lovett’s Texas home, I found a whole lot of other hidden gems.

Michael Martin Murphy and Boomer Castleman’s “West Texas Highway” is the perfect combination of country swing and twist of phrase to suit Lovett’s style. In the song, Lovett’s narrator picks up a hitchhiker with a lot less money than him, but a lot more adventure. As he lets him out at his destination, he opines:

“But I’m still wishing
To this very day
That he had my clothes
And my big Chevrolet
And it was me going to Haskell
With a woman down in Abilene.”

The album ends with the traditional track, “Texas River Song.” It is a love song for the state’s rivers, save one – the Brazos – where the narrator’s lover once abandoned him. There’s no writing credit for this one, but with lines like this…

“Now the fair Angelina
Runs glossy and gliding
The crooked Colorado
Runs weaving and winding
The slow San Antonio
Courses the plains
But I never will walk
By the Brazos again.”

…I throw a little of my love across the ages to whoever was responsible. He or she may be forgotten, but they live forever every time someone shares this tune.

Lyle shares a lot of great tunes on this record, and if there were just a few less of them this record would easily be 4 stars. In the end though, there is just too much love in the room to take it all in, and too many roses to fully appreciate each individual flower.

Best tracks: Step Inside This House, I’ve Had Enough, Ballad of the Snow Leopard and the Tanqueray Cowboy, West Texas Highway, Texas Trilogy: Train Ride, Flyin’ Shoes, Highway Kind, If I Needed You, Texas River Song

No comments: