Friday, September 27, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1302: Ana Egge


Greetings, gentle readers! My apologies for my long absence. I’ve had a busy week. That busyness has not ended (in fact, I took today off just to make sure I had time to get everything done) but I’m taking a break to keep the Odyssey moving.

Over the course of the week I have listened exclusively to this new record. This amounts to somewhere between eight and ten listens. I can’t say exactly how many because as Dirty Harry Callahan would say, “to tell the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost count myself.”

What I did rediscover is the joy of giving a record a deep, immersive dive – the kind you do when you only own 20 records instead of 2,000.

Alright then, let’s see what all this languorous fuss is about. Then it is back to chores!

Disc 1302 is… Road to My Love
Artist: Ana Egge

Year of Release: 2009

What’s up with the Cover? Ana, chillin’ out in a tank top. Ana looks kind of handy in this photo. Like she could just as easily fix your motorcycle as sing you some folk songs.

How I Came to Know It: I was listening to an album by Canadian folk singer Matt Patershuk (2017’s “Same As I Ever Have Been,” reviewed back at Disc 1234) and I kept hearing this great female voice singing backup and harmony. I looked in the liner notes and discovered it was Ana Egge. It turned out she is far more well-known than Patershuk (sorry Matt).

How It Stacks Up:  Egge has 10 studio albums. I have two of them and I’m on the lookout for four more (they’re devilishly hard to find). Of the two I have, I’ll put “Road to My Love” in second.

Ratings: 4 stars

My media player has gotten a lot more creative recently with how it categorizes music, adding judgy phrases like “old school” to my early rap music, and occasionally throwing up its digital hands with “miscellaneous” when sufficiently flummoxed with all the musical crossover of the modern world.

Labels are an annoyance anyway, because music is music and should be taken on its own merits every time, but we music critics sometimes apply them anyway because…well, hell, they save time.

For “Road to My Love,” the labelers in my media player went with “contemporary folk” and for this record, it is a pretty helpful start. Egge’s music has its roots in folk music, but there is a steady stream of pop music present in the melodies, the instrumentation and the production. I wanted all these pop sensibilities to annoy my purist tendencies, but try as I might, I couldn’t get upset. Egge just does too good of a job of marrying the styles into something uniquely her own.

The effect is the earthiness of folk music, set in a warm and ambient bath of pop. It smooths out the edges that I was sometimes hopeful to hear, but it also lets the journey feel contemplative and relaxed. It soaks in a bit slower, but you get the feeling you’re in the presence of an old soul, taking her time to tell you a story or two.

Folk music is very much about storytelling, and Egge tells some good ones here. The one that always stands out is “Bully of New York” a character study of someone who works as a Park Ranger in New York’s Central Park. My only other cultural encounter with the Central Park Rangers is as villains at the end of the Christmas movie “Elf” and it was great to have Egge humanize them, through a chance encounter with one of them who gave her a ride one day. This ranger is a decent man, resigned to his role doing tasks like:

“I lock up the playgrounds, here in the park
I am the bully of New York
It’s getting’ dark – so I turn the keys
The kids all think I’m bein’ mean”.

His late hours contribute to his divorce, and while he’s a sad man in a lonely job, Egge paints him with kindness, and reminds us that deep down we’re all just people in need of love.

The ‘contemporary’ songs are also strong, including the opening track “Storm Comin’” which has an up-tempo beat that makes you want to do a little head bobbing at the back of bus. I may have succumbed once or twice. I regret nothing.

Egge mixes the styles together on the sultry longing of “The Sea Around You” which matches an introspective folksy charm with the plaintive cry of electric guitar. As she does throughout the record, Egge sings with a mix of breath and sweetness. Her phrasing generates emotional energy on intimate admissions like:

“I dreamt of something I shouldn’t do last night
I want too, I still might. I still might.”

You get to hear a lot of different guitar styles as well. “Red Queen” features a very light acoustic strum, and on her cover of “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” she plays a stripped-down Delta blues slide style.

There are a lot of different treatments on “Road to My Love” and there were times where it felt a bit too atmospheric, but I found that over time I came to forgive the odd bit of horn or smooth jazz lurking around the edges of the songs.

All that extra time with the record definitely helped. On my first three listens I probably would have given it 3 stars, but in the end it climbed up to 4. If your wondering if this is why a lot of records you played the hell out of back when you only had 20 seem “better” than something new you’ve had less time with, the answer is yes. And that’s OK – it doesn’t make the love less real.

Best tracks: Storm Comin’, The Bully of New York, The Sea Around You, Farmer’s Daughter, New Tattoo, Red Queen

No comments: