Wednesday, April 3, 2019

CD Odyssey Disc 1246: Bad Cop Bad Cop


My brain is a bit tired tonight, and I’m also not feeling 100%, but this album gave me a much needed burst of energy. Besides, the Odyssey must sail on if it is going to get back to Ithaca.

Disc 1246 is… Not Sorry
Artist: Bad Cop Bad Cop

Year of Release: 2014

What’s up with the Cover? A female luchador, arms akimbo. She looks like she could kick your ass and not apologize after. Get it? Get it? Man, I crack myself up.

How I Came to Know It: I saw them open for Frank Turner on his last tour. At the Vancouver show I went to their merch table and bought both this record and 2017’s “Warriors” (reviewed at Disc 1187) at the same time

How It Stacks Up:  I just have the two Bad Cop Bad Cop albums and of the two I put “Not Sorry” in at…second. Last isn’t so bad when it is also second.

Ratings:  3 stars

“Not Sorry” is energetic pop-flavoured punk. It isn’t all punk snarl but it does has have a healthy dollop. It also has a solid amount of melody and thoughtful songwriting. If this bothers you then I have two words for you – The Clash.

Are Bad Cop Bad Cop as good as the legendary Clash? No, but they come in the same tradition that punk is founded in the spirit of rebellion, not in some wrongheaded notion that you shouldn’t be able to play your instruments correctly or have to record your album in a tin can.

Lead singer Stacey Dee snarls with abandon as she sings songs that are often confessional and intensely personal. Dee has a heavy case of the feels and she’s not afraid to show tough and vulnerable at the same time but make no mistake – tough wins out. Guitarist Jennie Cotterill also sings, and the band makes some unexpectedly pretty harmonies for a punk band.

On my earlier review I noted that the band reminds me favourably of Green Day, and that is true on “Not Sorry” as well. “Old Dogs” is a bit too much like Green Day, but as Bad Cop Bad Cop are clever songwriters, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they were punking me in that other way by doing that. If so, kudos but I still didn’t love the song.

Fortunately, there were plenty of others to love, notably “Here’s To You” a song about losing a loved one, and “Sugarcane” a song about an abusive relationship. These are heavy topics, and on both BCBC demonstrate how to draw positive energy and agency out of bad experiences.  

Sugarcane” is particularly powerful with the opening line:

“She went back to the guy that beat her
That publicly called her a whore”

Telling you the story is going to be dark, but with Dee willing to both stand up for her friend singing:

“I’d use a fucking hammer on his face
Yeah I would do that for her”

And, just as importantly, encouraging positive action from her friend with an anthemic chorus of:

Get up, get out, get on!
Get a new life, one you’d be proud of!”

It is touching, empowering and yes, it rocks the fuck out.

The album has a surprising amount of range. The crunch of punk on songs like “Support” blend well with the pop anthem qualities of “Like, Seriously”. The reggae beat structure that leads off “I’m Alright” doesn’t fit quite so well, but hell – it worked for the Clash so you can’t blame them for giving it a go.

BCBC is a force of nature live, and I recommend the experience if you have the opportunity. Their studio albums are a lot more polished, but just as enjoyable in another way. On the albums the lyrics are easier to pick up, and worth noting. What’s more, they preserve most of the energy they bring to their live shows, which isn’t easy to do.

Overall, while I prefer their follow up album “Warriors,” “Not Sorry” is a quality record that is going to get airplay in my collection for years to come.

Best tracks: Nightmare, Here’s To You, Joey Lawrence, Sugarcane, Like Seriously, Support

No comments: