Wednesday, November 14, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1200: Heather Maloney


I just got through a rather long and arduous day at the office. At the end of it I couldn’t bring myself to walk home or even catch the bus so I called a cab…which didn’t show up. When I called back I discovered he was parked outside the pub next door, no doubt picking up where I secretly wanted to be rather than where I actually was.

For all that he was a good fellow with a tough job and despite the late hour, his day was just beginning. I gave him a big tip for his trouble; perspective is important in life.

Disc 1200 is… Making Me Break
Artist: Heather Maloney

Year of Release: 2015

What’s up with the Cover? Maloney as mythical bird woman. I guess when you sing this well, people just assume you’ve got some bird in you. This amalgam of photography and art is by Kevin Hill, and the liner notes are festooned with his re-imaginings of birds, flowers and pictures of Maloney, all of them beautiful.

How I Came To Know It: I read about Maloney in a music magazine and decided to check her out. I liked what I heard.

How It Stacks Up:  I have two Heather Maloney albums and “Making My Break” is number one. In preparing to write this review I see she has released a new album in 2018 and I’m excited to find it as well.

Ratings:  5 stars

It doesn’t matter how long the day is, or how cold the night; some records make your spirit soar. “Making Me Break” is one of those records. Its opening song is “Linger Longer” and from the very first notes it makes you want to do exactly that. Which is what I did, eschewing music review writing (my apologies, dear reader) so I could spend another day with the lovely and talented Heather Maloney.

It all begins with Maloney’s voice, which is a mix of power, sweetness and a home-spun quality that reminds you that while “Making Me Break” has pop song structures, it has a heart that is 100% folk.

Linger Longer” doesn’t say a lot – it is a simple song of love and redemption – but Maloney throws herself into it with such joyful abandon you are instantly swept up into her world. From here, she reveals an album filled with beautifully structured little songs that seem a bit twee if you don’t pay attention, and filled with thoughtful majesty when you do.

Maloney brings a thoughtful hippy vibe to her singer-songwriter routine and she sees magic all around her. On “Otherwise” she looks around an urban setting and sees nature blossoming out of every crack:

“Deer on the highway
Seedling in concrete
Spiders weaving webs on the lamps of the streets
You are free.”

When she sings “Don’t let them tell you otherwise” she could be encouraging her listeners to see the same beauty, or maybe they’re just words of encouragement to all those deer and plants and spiders. Either way, it is an uplifting sentiment.

This open-hearted innocence shines brightest on the masterpiece, “Hey, Serena” a song about Maloney learning that a friend from her childhood has become a stripper. Maloney starts with a genuine concern that Serena is OK with her choices, not because she is judging, but because she wants to better understand the context of the journey.

Backed by a sparse production and lightly plucked guitar, she explores how the girl she knew became the woman she is now, she calls out a plea of “someone deliver me from my confusion”. Ultimately it is Maloney’s own insightful mind and self-examined soul that guides her unerringly to all the answer she needs as she resolves with:

“Hey, Serena, tell me are you well? I can’t tell from here.
I know it must be true that I’m projecting onto you my fear
Cuz I know how it feels to count on sex-appeal to meet my needs.
Be it the rent to pay, be it a power-play or love…or security.”

There’s two very tasteful but sexy photo/art pieces of Maloney in the liner notes and they fit there as naturally as the pictures of origami, dandelions and family portraits they line up beside. Looking at them all, I was again struck by how well rounded and considered an artist Maloney is. She was never judging. Instead she’s making sure her old friend is happy…and joining her in solidarity at how Goddamned complicated it can be for a woman to express her sexuality on her own terms.

On “Eighteen Fifty-Five” Maloney points out that an old photo isn’t a whole life – it is just a single moment in a lifetime of moments. Like the friend on “Hey, Serena” and the urban survivors on “Otherwise” her music insists you see a full picture of her subject matter. because the more facets you can see something from, the more bright and beautiful it becomes.

The combination of her sweet and easy vocal power matched with a thoughtful and optimistic examination of the world around her creates a record that fills you with a breathless wonder. On “Dandelion” Maloney sings “I will crown you with whatever grows prettiest.” And this sums up how her record approaches life in general. Some people have so much pretty inside it rubs off on everything they touch. Or in Maloney’s case – whatever is lucky enough to catch her attention long enough to inspire a song.

Best tracks: all tracks

No comments: