Monday, August 20, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1171: Run the Jewels


II had planned to give this album another day to soak in, but then I realized I was home alone for the evening with nothing to do. I also had the worst of first world problems; two shows were taping on cable so I couldn’t even watch TV. Faced with the dreadful prospect of having to do something important, I donned my headphones, laid down in the dark, and gave this next album another listen.

Technically I also gave the cat a cuddle, but I think that activity reasonably adheres to the spirit of Rule #4. Also, it is important.

Disc 1171 is… Run the Jewels 3
Artist: Run the Jewels

Year of Release: 2016

What’s up with the Cover? It’s the Run the Jewels logo, featured on every one of their three albums. This time, they have ‘flashed’ it in gold.

A limited number of these albums came with swag as well, and I managed to get that with mine. This included a medallion with the RTJ logo and a bunch of stickers:
In the new world of music downloads, a band going out of their way to provide some real live swag with their album was very cool. This medallion is as cool as it looks – not real gold but shiny and with plenty of heft. If you are wondering “Where would you wear this?” I wore it to a dress up event at an art gallery. Did people give me weird looks? You’re damned right they did, and I loved it.

Some of the stickers (band logo, band members brandishing firearms) now grace my metal lunch bucket. Yes, I have a metal lunch bucket, festooned with band stickers. It goes well with my suit.

How I Came To Know It: I first discovered Run the Jewels (RTJ) through their 2014 album, “Run the Jewels 2” and loved it so much I bought RTJ 3 the week it was released, before I heard a single song.

In case you haven’t noticed, Run the Jewels aren’t terribly creative with their album names. Hey – it worked for Led Zeppelin.

How It Stacks Up:  I have three Run the Jewels albums and RTJ3 comes in second. I absolutely love it, but it still falls just short of the masterpiece that is RTJ2.

Ratings: 4 stars

If you only listened to radio friendly hip hop you might despair for the state of modern rap, but a few songs from rap duo Run the Jewels would quickly cure what ails you.

Composed of two rappers – El-P and Killer Mike – who are already established underground rap legends in their own right, Run the Jewels is a revelation, a visceral blend of old school flow and ultra-modern beats, fused to make something timeless and powerful.

Run the Jewels came into their own on their second album, and on their third album they demonstrate it was no fluke. Their rhymes are intricate, thought-provoking and filled with swagger. Both El-P and Killer Mike have been at their craft for years, honing their skill. They’re good, and they know it.

This frequently leads them to that age old school topic – that they rap better than you. It’s only fun in rap when it is true, and on “RTJ 3” it is true and then some. This album has bold song titles like “Panther Like a Panther” and a lot of hefty bragging, every beat of which both rappers back up and then some. Most of the best stuff is laden with many swear words. Since I don’t want you to blush, dear reader, I won’t quote them. Suffice it to say that every swear is right where it needs to be to make the point more…er…pointed.

Musically, the album is a dense mix of old school drum, techno beats and sparingly used but well-timed samples. On “Call Ticketron” they marry frenetic synthesizer beats with their flow and a clever sample of some announcer saying “live at the Garden” has to be heard to be appreciated.

While most of these songs are rap battle masterpieces, Run the Jewels also throws in a good mix of social commentary. When they mention violence and drugs it isn’t in the vacuous way so many modern rap acts do – it is rare and purposeful, and designed to underscore a point, rather than be the point. “Thursday in the Danger Room” is a heartbreaking song about bad choices and the friends no longer with them as a result and it works better knowing Run The Jewels have had their own bumps in the road.

Another nice touch was the CD booklet came with a complete set of lyrics, which is pretty rare for a rap album. You don’t need this extra; El-P and Killer Mike are both so on point you don’t miss a word, but it is a nice addition.

I was tempted to give “RTJ 3” an extra star just for giving me a medallion and some stickers, but there was no need. This record stands on its own merits, swag or no swag.

Best tracks: Talk to Me, Legend Has It, Call Ticketron, Don’t Get Captured, Panther Like a Panther (Miracle Mix), Oh Mama, Thursday in the Danger Room

No comments: