Monday, January 15, 2018

CD Odyssey Disc 1092: Bonnie Prince Billy

Welcome back, gentle readers! Let’s get right to the review, shall we?

Disc 1092 is…I See a Darkness
Artist: Bonnie Prince Billy

Year of Release: 1999

What’s up with the Cover? If you think this cover lacks cheer, wait until you hear the record.

How I Came To Know It: After being introduced to Bonnie Prince Billy I was quickly drawn to this record because it had “I See a Darkness” on it, which I knew from Johnny Cash’s cover on “American III: Solitary Man” (reviewed back at Disc 687).

How It Stacks Up:  I have four Bonnie Prince Billy albums. Of those four, I put “I See A Darkness in at third best.

Ratings: 3 stars

When an album has songs with titles like “Another Day Full of Dread” and “Death to Everyone” you shouldn’t be looking for an up-tempo joy-fest, but on “I See A Darkness” indie folk rocker Bonnie Prince Billy takes somber to a whole new level.

This is a sad, quiet record, and while there are moments of triumph, they are fleeting and spring primarily from the recognition that the world is a rough place, and we might as well celebrate while we can.

The opening track “A Minor Place” is about as upbeat as the Bonnie Prince (real name: Will Oldham) manages. It has such uplifting lines as:

“The scars of last year’s storm
Rest like maggots on my arm.”

If you were an optimist (I am) you’d note that maggots help clean a wound, so that’s…er…good news. The song is a pretty little melody where Oldham expresses that while he’s going to approach the next 38 minutes of music from a dark perspective, it’s home for him, and gives him comfort. Like the rest of the album, there is a deep frailty in the song, but at least Oldham is celebrating something.

Later on “Death to Everyone”, Oldham is pleased to note that this will in fact happen to us all. But before he gets to the punch line, Oldham describes the world’s worst date. On it people watch each other age, balls burn and the lady wears black and possibly only one shoe (also black). It is all worth it, though because:

“Death to everyone
Is gonna come
And it makes hosing
Much more fun.”

If you’re not familiar with the term ‘hosing’ the song seems to imply a couple of meanings – one related to getting drunk and the other to having sex. When Oldham is not singing about death, there is a good chance he’s singing about sex so let’s cover all the bases and go with drunken sex. Oldham’s main point is that sex is a lot better when you know you’re going to have a finite amount of it. You know, because…death.

All of “I See A Darkness’” celebrations are the darkest possible. Like the woman’s clothes in “Death to Everyone” the album’s predominant colour is black, as is the mood. Oldham wants us to get as still as possible, contemplate the foreboding terror of that stillness, and then emerge a little bit wiser. I’m not sure he needs the wisdom part so much as he wants to establish a mood and see what happens next.

In support of that mood, the album is recorded in very muted tones. Occasionally the piano will jangle a bit, or your ear will catch a clever chord change but the main impact is for the record to sound like it is being sung from a distance and through ten layers of cheesecloth. Black cheesecloth.

I expect if you were feeling morose and ready to curl up all alone with a glass of pinot noir and contemplate your sad fate this might be a strange kind of fun, but I found the incredible quietness made it hard to hear the music at all. I played this album at about 25% higher volume than I usually do and I still had a hard time. Given this album came out in 1999 I could’ve used just a little of all that excess loudness that pop and metal artists were throwing around the studio at the time.

I know all that quietness is supposed to draw me in, quiet my mind and let me see the beauty unfurl. However, for every time it succeeded, another time it would annoy me because I wanted to hear the song more clearly. Also, to create additional discord a lot of the songs have echoing vocals coming in just before or just after Oldham sings. I think it was designed to generate anxiety or heighten tension, but it just felt awkward and ill-timed.

As for the title track, it is a masterpiece of self-doubt, with a half-prayer at the end which calls for a better life ahead, but doesn’t promise it will happen. I prefer the Johnny Cash cover, but hearing Oldham’s frail high voice deliver it also had appeal.

Something tells me that “I See A Darkness” is a critical darling, but I think it overshadows other efforts from Bonnie Prince Billy that are just as thoughtful and much more listenable. If you are a huge fan of BPB, then you already know this record and are probably mad that I didn’t rave about how great it is. If you are not yet a huge fan, start with “Ease Down the Road” or “Palace Music” instead.


Best tracks: A Minor Place, Nomadic Revery (All Around), I See A Darkness

No comments: