Sunday, December 3, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 1078: Iron Maiden

People sometimes ask me how I come up with new music to listen to, since I don’t listen to the radio and don’t have any of those fancy new streaming services.

I’m lucky in that I have a bunch of musically inclined friends and we are always exchanging recommendations and sharing our latest finds. I also read a lot of music reviews. Beyond that the key is to be open minded and never miss an opportunity. If you hear a song in a store that you like, ask the clerk what it is. If you’re at a party and you meet someone for the first time don’t open with the tired old yawner “what do you do for a living” – ask them instead what their latest musical discovery is.

Friday night I exchanged recommendations with server at the pub and yesterday I did the same thing with my brunch server. Once it is clear you’re talking to another music fan you might as well see what they like. There’s a lot of music out there, and to discover the best stuff you’re going to need help.

Disc 1078 is…The Number of the Beast
Artist: Iron Maiden

Year of Release: 1982

What’s up with the Cover? Ever-present Iron Maiden mascot “Eddie” is controlled by the devil, but an even bigger Eddie controls that same devil with bloody marionette strings. Plus we have fire, lightning, and the storm clouds of hell. This cover offended all manner of mothers back in the early eighties, although mine weathered it pretty well, probably going no farther than a “oh, Virgil – that awful!” when my brother showed it to her.

How I Came To Know It: Everyone who was a metal fan in the eighties knew this album, and in my home town it blared out of muscle cars, house parties and ghetto blasters at every turn. The CD version has been in my collection as long as I can remember and still gives me fond memories of my teenage years.

How It Stacks Up:  I have been on a bit of a buying spree with Iron Maiden albums of late and now have 11. “The Number of the Beast” comes in at the lofty position of #2, narrowly beating out “Piece of Mind” (reviewed way back at Disc 2) and just behind “Powerslave” (reviewed at Disc 720).

Ratings: 4 stars but almost 5

“The Number of the Beast” is frequently espoused as Iron Maiden’s greatest record, and while for me it falls short of “Powerslave” it is still an amazing accomplishment.

The record is Maiden at their most fast and furious, with less emphasis on the long epic tracks of albums like “Piece of Mind” or their later work. Sure three of the eight songs exceed six minutes but trust me when I tell you that for Maiden that is practically radio friendly.

A case in point is the opening track “Invaders” which kicks off with a frantic drum line from Clive Barr (who would be replaced by Nicko McBrain later that year). Even after Barr’s drum punches you to start the song there is no respite, as the tune races forward at the front of the beat. The effect makes you feel like you have no time to breathe, not unlike the Viking invaders the song depicts.

Maiden have a great feel for how to make a record feel cohesive, and the speed metal of “Invaders” is followed by the doom-filled “Children of the Damned,” its slow menacing guitar riff the perfect foil after the audio assault of the previous track.

This album features two of Maiden’s most iconic songs. The title track and “Run to the Hills” both showcase Bruce Dickinson’s powerhouse, operatic vocals. Even though there is no keeping up with Dickinson as he soars into the chorus of “Run to the Hills” it doesn’t stop you from trying. Over the years the song has been sadly overplayed, but I still can’t resist it when it comes on, with its galloping beat, anthemic power chords and a tight and well-structured guitar solo. As for “The Number of the Beast” I can honestly say it scared me a little as a kid.

For some reason my Walkman thought “Hallowed Be Thy Name” was called “Total Eclipse” which was weird and had me temporarily nervous it was going to be some weird Bonnie Tyler cover. That would have been cool, but fortunately it was the right song – covering the cheerful topic of waiting to be hanged. I recently watched a video of two guys reviewing this song after hearing it for the first time and it gave me a new appreciation for Iron Maiden’s strong songwriting. How these guys could sit and head-bob and marvel at the song’s construction and then still decide they didn’t have room for it on their playlist was beyond me. Get a device with more memory!

As is tradition with an Iron Maiden album, there are plenty of historical and art references. We have the aforementioned Viking invaders of "Invaders", “Run to the Hills” telling the story of First Nations being attacked by Europeans, and “The Prisoner” is about the old sixties TV show of the same name.

One song I could have lived without was “22, Acacia Avenue” a song about going to visit a prostitute that has not aged well. The song revisits the character of “Charlotte the Harlot” off of their debut album but doesn’t add anything and isn’t as good a song either. The appeal to Charlotte to live a better life rings hollow surrounded as it is by the viewpoint of her lustful clients. When the protagonist tells Charlotte “you’re packing your bags, you’re coming with me” it feels less like a rescue and more like an abduction.

Despite this one misstep, “Number of the Beast” has earned its reputation as one of metal’s most iconic records and 35 years later it still sounds fresh and powerful.


Best tracks: Invaders, Children of the Damned, the Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Hallowed Be Thy Name

No comments: