Friday, July 14, 2017

CD Odyssey Disc 1028: Andrew Combs

A busy week prevented me from writing this review, but with a series of walks ahead of me today I got up early so I could get my thoughts down before I left and then move on to…who knows?

The odyssey is random, my friends. Embrace the randomness.

Disc 1028 is…All These Dreams
Artist: Andrew Combs

Year of Release: 2015

What’s up with the Cover? Andrew Combs head…and a tear in the upper left corner. I ordered this on Amazon, which I rarely do (support your local record store!) and it came damaged. I suppose I could’ve kicked up a fuss with Amazon, but the older you get the more you realize that those hours you spend getting satisfaction over minor slights are better spent doing something enjoyable.

How I Came To Know It: I read a review of Combs’ 2017 album “Canyons of My Mind”. That got me interested, and led me to his back catalogue, and “All These Dreams”.

How It Stacks Up:  I’ve only got two Andrew Combs’ albums. His follow up album, “Canyons of My Mind” has my favourite song by him but “All These Dreams” has better songs and production overall, and so I put it at #1.

Ratings: 4 stars

I’m glad that scheduling conspired to keep this album in my ears for a few extra days, because it got better and better on each listen. If I’d rushed through I might not have recognized it for the subtle beauty it was.

When I got on the bus Tuesday morning, I wasn’t terribly in the mood for Andrew Combs. I had narrowly missed rolling an album by the heavy metal band “Ancient Empires.” I’ve been on a bit of a rediscovery of metal music for the last couple of weeks and rolling Ancient Empires just seemed fitting, but it was not to be. I was to journey once again into the land of indie folk.

What I initially noticed was the odd extra percussion and excess steel guitar on the first track, “Rainy Day Song.” I kept thinking how Combs sounded like Blue Rodeo or Gordon Lightfoot, but not quite as good. The hook on “Foolin’” sounded far too similar to Tom Petty’s “Crawling Back to You” making me wonder if anything new was going to happen.

About halfway through the first listen, my ears settled in and accepted their mission, and I started to appreciate Combs for some of the very reasons I had earlier been unimpressed. He still reminded me heavily of Blue Rodeo and Gordon Lightfoot, but this was a good thing. Other than “Foolin’” he didn’t sound derivative. He sounded like someone who wasn’t afraid to bring country, folk and rock elements together and make them work.

Combs is a gifted songwriter, creating melodies that have a mid-career sophistication to them without falling into the trap of being fancy for the sake of being fancy. I would probably have made the production a little less lush, but Combs leaves sufficient room for the melody to breathe its magic that it is just a minor quibble on my part. He is aided ably by excellent playing of studio musicians Jeremy Fetzer (guitar) and Spencer Cullum Jr. (pedal steel). The mix is nice and even, giving every instrument a chance to shine, and Combs’ voice is powerful enough to rise above it all when the song demands it.

Combs’ voice reminded me of Blue Rodeo’s Jim Cuddy. He doesn’t have Cuddy’s chops, or the same depth of broken-hearted hurt that Cuddy has, but he comes awfully close. He certainly has enough of both to make these intensely personal songs resonate with authenticity.

The song that first drew me in was “Pearl.” Driven by the heavy thud of the bass guitar, and punctuated by cascade of minor keys, “Pearl” is a song that asks you to look a bit more carefully at the down-and-out. Everyone has a story: a homeless man who was once a gifted musician, a prostitute raising her two younger brothers, and a criminal who took the rap so his brother could run. “Pearl” helps you get past the surface and see that marginal people also have a story worth telling.

With “Pearl” giving me purchase on Combs’ sound and purpose, the album began falling into place. “Long Gone Lately” is a country song the way country music sounds when it is at its best; plaintive and heartfelt. The song is punctuated by steel guitar and some kind of trail whistling, and it all works. There’s even a little castanet action, which I now welcomed.

A run of solid songs cascaded by, full of flawed triumphs, things broken and then reconstructed into song. Combs dredges up some dark thoughts and works them out with you as witness. “Slow Road to Jesus” is a song about someone resigned to drink himself into an early grave. It is followed by “Month of Bad Habits” where he decides a month of self-destructive behavior is sufficient. OK, technically he says it’ll be “more than a month of bad habits” but you get the impression he’ll call it quits before he meets Jesus.

The album ends with “Suwannee County”. It is a stripped down pastoral, and features the best vocals Combs offers on the album. “Suwannee County” is a quiet, gentle invitation to start again, once your soul is healed up and ready.

Armed with that fresh start, I began the album again, and then a third time, and then a fourth. On each successive listen I liked it more. “Rainy Day Song” became a beautiful, slow building track – a song that signaled the coming storm of the heart that Combs would explore through the rest of the record. “Foolin’” still felt a little derivative, but only a little. It now felt like the outlier on the record, not its representative.

“All These Dreams” is a headphones album. Like a lot of beautiful things, it steals into your soul when you are being quiet and attentive, and giving it a chance to work its magic. I encourage you to do so.


Best tracks: Rainy Day Song, Strange Bird, Pearl, Long Gone Lately, In the Name of You, All These Dreams, Suwannee County

No comments: